Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Bushnell Trophy Cam Trouble >

Bushnell Trophy Cam Trouble

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Bushnell Trophy Cam Trouble

Old 05-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Spike

Default Bushnell Trophy Cam Trouble

I purchased a Bushnell Trophy cam last week to overview my yard. I've been having trouble with dog or cat crap in my yard for a long time. I'm pretty sure I know where its coming from but I have to prove it to the land owner, and depending on how things go down than maybe the police as well.

Here are a couple sample pictures.

The angle would be perfect because the crap is pretty well always in the central lit up area there [Edit: center of photo about 25ft from cam]. I set it to shoot no faster than every 7 seconds. I was really disappointed when I checked it today that all 8 new alkaline batteries were dead in 3 days. I just had a measly 512mb SD card in there until I could get a bigger one, and found it full.

Turns out the camera has been shooting on average every 10 seconds continuously until it filled the card in a few hours (800pics). I assume it then just kept on shooting every 10 sec until the batteries died. Which, I thought it should be able to sense the card is full and not shoot anymore. I got 800 pics of nothing.

I suspect the movement of the grass was setting it off constantly. Does it have to be mounted 5-6ft up like the manual says? Its so nicely hidden under my deck as it is now.

Also maybe I should just turn the sensitivity down? It was set to "high". Overnight temp probably around 40F now.

My last question is that if I do turn the sensitivity down, will it reduce the distance it can be triggered from?

My camera does not have field scan or a setting to shoot at predetermined times.

Really frustrated here and don't really have another place to mount the camera out of sight.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those cameras had that run-away issue for a while. My first one had it and I had to send it back. If you just bought it last week I would take it back to where you bought it. If you have to deal directly with Bushnell, I have found their customer service to be outstanding. There is probably nothing you can do differently to fix the problem. The sensitivity setting should be set to normal unless the outside temp is very high then you may have to set it to high. Hope it all works out for you.

Blessings......Pastorjim
Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Supernaut: I agree with PastorJim08. Here are a couple of suggestions to try and if you end up returning the camera it would be extra information to help Bushnell. 1)set the camera to "Video". This will show any grass, bush movement. 2)after doing this test, lower your sensitivity as PastorJim08 suggests to "Normal". Bushnell has good customer service and also a two year manufactures warranty. To return the camera you are required to obtain a "Return Authorization Number" from Bushnell and will have to pay the shipping. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Spike

Thanks for advice. When I scroll through the pics I can see blades of grass in different positions so I don't think the video is necessary. Going to do a 30 min test outside now with the sensor on "Normal." There seems to be no wind so I guess the grass test won't really apply. I'll see if it just keeps shooting non stop however.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Spike

New Results

EDIT: myself doing a test walk.

Ok, now it isn't shooting every 13 seconds and seems to be triggered normally. However that is not snow on the ground. It seems with the camera under the darkness of the deck the bright sun light is causing exposure issues. The one where you can see the grass must have been from when a cloud passed over. In the first pic you can just make out someone walking on the street.

Just can't win. Is there a way to combat this other than "Don't put it under the deck?"

Last edited by Supernaut; 05-04-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If possible, try a different location. You are definitely getting over exposure. If relocating do not face the camera east or west (into the rising or setting sun). Facing north is more preferable. If the house has a light color, this may cause the over exposure as well. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Spike

This camera is facing mostly North, or a bearing of maybe 030 if we wanted to get picky. I think the solution may just be to move it out further from under the deck. I think its the contrast between the darkness underneath and the bright sun light outside. This would make it more visible but I'm not sure what other option I have.