Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Trailcam placement? >

Trailcam placement?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trailcam placement?

Old 03-25-2012, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Trailcam placement?

I am wondering about the placement for a trail cam in the woods.. I have ordered out for some Lucky Buck powder form and will be using it as well. ( I hope it works for this ) Should I put this stuff along with my trailcam where the deer and moose have been known to travel in an area? Or should I put where a big buck has been scraping during the fall? Also how close or how far from the Lucky Buck should I put my trailcam? I will keep in mind that wind blowing on the trees will set my camera off. I am planning on setiing it up in a skidder trail from an old cutting.. Lots of skidder trails here with a very large area..
Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

well i would go with setting it up near heavily used trails to start out with, that's how i run mine. no right on them but with 10-30 yards of one. as far as distance from the camera to your "bait" i put mine normally with in 10-15 feet but i think i have mine closer then most. if your trying for moose make sure you have your camera up higher then for deer or all you get is their legs. (waist height for deer) hope this helps
Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would put it near trails but I guarantee wherever you put it, they will come. That stuff is dynamite. I place my homebrews about a foot or two from where I expect the subject to be only because they take magazine cover-like photos. For the commercial cams I don't worry that much about getting close. I place them to shoot up and down trails and point them at bait. As far as height I place them from waist to knee high. If you are using some kind of bait the deer will eventually find it no matter where you put it. Keep in mind that Lucky Buck is a mineral so once it gets in the ground the deer will return year after year.

Blessings.........Pastorjim
Old 03-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my areas, moose have a tendancy to roam rather than stick to game trails. They like to nibble here, then spot something in another direction and go there for a nibble. Deer usually stick to game trails unless branching out into crop land. I'm not familiar with the food source you are planning to use as I'm not permitted to put anything out as this is called baiting and is not permitted. Wishing you great sucess.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

If your trail cam picks up warm blooded animal to take pictures, then point it north, or south.
East or west the warm from the sun will give false pictures.
Thats how my trail cam is setup, it is pointed North.
I found out the hard way, with several 100's of blank pictures.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Little arrow here where I am planning on putting out my trail cams there is no crop land. It is woods that have been cut by paper companies. The moose and deer use certain skidder trails to travel threw these cuttings. Yes the moose and deer both wander in and out of them quite commonly. But they will continue to use them and will have paths beat down in them. They use them to travel from swamp to swamp with. There is a monster of a buck I am hoping to get a look at in there.

Rack wise I am not expecting a lot of points Just a heavey beam rack once it grows out. I maybe surprised though. I had hunted for this particular deer all last fall archery and rifle season. He slipped by me a few times when I was close to him. I saw 11 moose in the last week alone. Mostly cows and calfs though.

Thanks for the replies and I am hoping this Lucky Buck stuff will do the trick in exposing him to a trail cam. If so you can expect to see a big deer posting by me when I get a pic of it. I am planning on setting the cam roughly 3 feet off the ground. I am mostly trying to decide which area I will have the best chance of getting him out in front of it. Once set I will not be able to get to it again for at least a month or 2. Mud season will be here by then and there will be no way that I could possably get to it.So I am hoping this will work..
Old 03-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Phil from Maine: Thanks for the response. As a member of this forum, I enjoy learning about different geographic areas, trail camera setups, modifications etc. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I went in to scout those trails out and the deer are surely still using them. The moose also have been in there all winter so the trailcam should give me some great photos. As I was scouting I came across three deer. A doe and her yearlings and now I surely can not wait to set my trailcams out. One of the yearlings in which I believe is a young buck is piebald.. I have never seen these deer in there before either. Now I am wondering what his daddy looks like. I did have my canon camera with me that I am still learning how to use so they are some what blurred.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I went out this morning and set my trailcam out.. On my way back I was able to see those 3 deer again. This time they were around 5 miles east of where I first saw them. So I guess I will not be seeing those ones there. It appears like they have left a deer yard some where and are heading to where ever they came from.. It was nice to see them though.. Now I have to wait until I can get back into my trailcam to see what happens there..
Old 04-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I took a walk in to check on my trailcam. I never took an extra sd card so I left mine in it. It showed 117 pics? I am thinking prolly the wind has touched it off. I was being carefull to direct it away from any branches and the like though. That Lucky Buck stuff they never came near it yet. So I will have to wait and see what happens..

Now here is something that has me baffled. Those 3 deer was back in the area where I saw them the first time. They have traveled 5 miles one way and now back again? I have no resonable idea as of why they had done that one. But it does show me the area they are using is far bigger than I have been thinking it was.. So maybe just maybe they will be showing up on my trailcam sometime this summer??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.