Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Problems with Stealth Cams >

Problems with Stealth Cams

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Problems with Stealth Cams

Old 11-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Spike

Question Problems with Stealth Cams

I have (3) (Models STC I450, STC I550 and 650IR) Stealth Cams that have worked well for several yrs. I have ran these successfully using external 12v battery packs. Recently, I started having problems with them working with the packs, seems that they will only work with internal alkaline batteries which they burn thru quite rapidly. They should work with the external batteries without the internal ones, but they don't. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what is the fix, if any?? According to Stealth Cam customer service, the cameras should work if I have 12v supply available. When I checked the battery packs, they read around 12.75v and appear to be fully charged, yet the cameras will not operate. StealthCam will replace them for a fee........? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

How is the 12v source connected to the cam, through an adapter?

Basically I'm wondering if the delivery system from the 12v source to the cam could be at fault, since it is all 3 cams.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

PThomann: Using a digital or multimeter: check your wires for continuity (no internal breaks). The center of the barrel plug that fits into the camera is positive, and this wire will connect to the positive post of the battery. This wire usually has a white or grey trace line or may be dotted. The other wire is the ground or negative and connects to the negative post of the battery. If you accidently reversed these wires when connecting to the battery, it will fry a component in the camera. If this did happen, the external power supply would not work, but using internal batteries, your camera will still work.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Spike

Default REF: Stealth Cam Issues

Like LittleArrow states below, there is a barrel type plug (single) that attaches to the underside of the camera. In the battery case, there are (2) leads running from this plug, a red and a black going to the positive and negative spade terminals on the 12v Sealed Lead Acid Battery. I have not changed these or messed with the polarity of the batteries at all. Like I said, even when I interchange the battery packs, none of the cameras work with the external packs, but they all work with internal alkaline batteries. Ironically, all (3) worked in September when I put them in the field and all stopped working within the few weeks within a few days of one another. I am getting current from the battery pack into the camera but for whatever reason they will not work without batteries. Very strange.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

PThomann: In your case, you mentioned red and black wires. The red would go to positive, the black to negative. With power going into the camera, the wires have continuity (no breaks). Some electrical component must have failed in the camera to do with the external power supply. Odd that all three cameras failed but like a lot of things, maybe that part has reached its life expectantcy. Sad when one needs these cameras as hunting season approaches.
If you haven't already done so, request approximate quote from the manufacture for a cost to check out and/or repair the camera. You would have to pay shipping one way or posssibly both. You would also require a return authorization number.
If the cameras are off warranty, you could: 1)shut the switch off, 2)remove the external power supply, 3)remove the internal batteries, 4)carefully open up the camera and check for a loose or poor connection on the power supply plug socket in the camera. Also look for a discoloration or burnt smell which could indicate a failed component in that circuit.
Depending on the repair cost and shipping x 3 (cameras), it may be cheaper to put that money toward a new camera. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Spike

I was searching online and found this old thread. I have 3 older stealth cams. Model 1530IR. Same problem on 2 out of 3.
Will not work with a fully charged external 12 volt stealthcam battery pack.
Will only work with the internal C batteries.

Has anyone got a definitive answer as to the problem? Could it be where the barrel plug connects to the inside of the camera?

I know it's an old thread but if you have any idea of the resolution I would like to know

Thanks