Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

finding a spot

Old 09-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Spike

Default finding a spot

i was wondering when you guys put out your camera how long do you leave it out there and once you get the pics do you keep it there or move it to a new spot? i just got some pics back and all it was were a few doe and some turkeys. so do you think this spot will eventyally bring in something
Old 09-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Spike

where does are buck will be there too.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lonewolf1990
i was wondering when you guys put out your camera how long do you leave it out there and once you get the pics do you keep it there or move it to a new spot? i just got some pics back and all it was were a few doe and some turkeys. so do you think this spot will eventyally bring in something
I have one trail cam, and put it close to deer trails, or rubs.
When the pictures of deer go down I put it in another spot.
I hope to get more trail camera, when I can afford to.
You just have to experiment with it till you get the right spot.
I have deercane out in front of it now, but when they start to rub I will put it close to a good rub.
I leave mine out all 12 months.
Good Luck

Last edited by jrbsr; 09-26-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Spike

I try to hang my cams on apple trees or oaks that are dropping. Once I see something I like, I move the cams and stake out another area. Once the apples and acorns are gone I will hit the scrapes with the cams on video mode. I move the cams every three or four days.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Spike

You place the camera like you would place a stand someplace you haven't been before. You look around for signs and try to guess were the deer will come in, then place the camera facing down the suspected trail. Try not to place perpendicular to the suspected trail. It takes the camera a second to turn on and take the picture. If the deer pass by perpendicular you might have a picture of nothing. I usually leave mine in place for a week or 2 before I take it down.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

This time of year I place them near or on food sources. Later I may look for areas where there is rutting activity and try to catch that. I usually leave my cameras for two weeks before I check them. A little more often during the season if the cam is in the vicinity of my stand.

Blessings......Pastorjim
Old 09-25-2011, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mine stay out about 10months of the yr.
Usually bring them in around March when the bucks lose their horns and the yotes get lazy.
That's 5 cams worth.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Spike

I usually have mine in a spot for 2 weeks or so if I get alot of deer then its my spot if not I move the camera
Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 AM
Fork Horn

I used to take them down in January and put them back up in July but now they spend the whole year in the woods. I have multiple cameras watching over my woods so that I don't have to move them.