Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Homemade Attractants ?? >

Homemade Attractants ??

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Homemade Attractants ??

Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Spike

Default Homemade Attractants ??

Anyone have any homemade recipes for attractants? I'm looking for something simple that will help put more deer in front of my trail camera. Would an ordinary salt lick for cattle work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

15 lbs of dicalcium phosphate, 20 lbs of white salt, and 25 lbs of trace minerals... it works better a lil earlier in the summer but they will still use it once they find it. You may want to put something out to help them find it though, it doesnt have a very potent aroma so i mix a bag of evolved harvests Black Magic in with it so they can smell it and locate it easier. They typically only sell the lick stuff in 50 lb bags but all together the whole thing shouldnt cost you more than 60 bucks or so and it will last for close to a year before you have to replenish it usually!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

No need to waste time any money on home made recipe's. Just go to walmart, TSC. or your local feed store and buy 50 lb generic salt or mineral blocks or 50lb bags for $6.00 that will last all year. Pike
Old 08-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tried many different kinds of attractants,with minimal results. I started using my homemade mineral last year, and the deer are really taking a liking to it. Just because one person dont have any luck with one kind of attractant dont mean you wont.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
I tried many different kinds of attractants,with minimal results. I started using my homemade mineral last year, and the deer are really taking a liking to it. Just because one person dont have any luck with one kind of attractant dont mean you wont.
No one said that they didnt have any luck with a certain type of mix, recipe, rock or block. I have used every type of commerical mix, homemade recipe etc. over the last 30 years and they all worked. Salt is salt, It doesnt matter what you use the deer will hit it. It just doesnt make any sense to pay $50.00 for 50lbs of homemade recipe, $13.00 for a 12lb trophy rock, $30.00 for a bag of Whitetail Institute's 30.06 etc. when you can buy a 50lb salt block at Walmart for $5.88. Pike
Old 08-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by J Pike
No one said that they didnt have any luck with a certain type of mix, recipe, rock or block. I have used every type of commerical mix, homemade recipe etc. over the last 30 years and they all worked. Salt is salt, It doesnt matter what you use the deer will hit it. It just doesnt make any sense to pay $50.00 for 50lbs of homemade recipe, $13.00 for a 12lb trophy rock, $30.00 for a bag of Whitetail Institute's 30.06 etc. when you can buy a 50lb salt block at Walmart for $5.88. Pike
Man, do you have it in for me or what? This is the second time in a week you jumped my **** about something I have posted. I never said someone said they didnt have any luck with a certain attractant, I was just trying to tell the OP that just because something dont work for 1 person, dont mean it cant work for another. I think all of it will work to a certain extent. I know for myself, that nothing "I" tried worked as good as my homemade mix, but that dont mean that something else wouldnt work.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not jumping anyone's *** I wasted alot of money over the years from misleading ads etc. and just trying save others some money. I know I put over 2,000 lbs a year and have so for years and I wasted alot of money over the years. But if you want to keep spending $50.00 on something that you can buy for $5.88 and get the same results who am I to critisize. Pike
Old 08-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats the thing, I wasn't getting the same results with the store bought stuff. I didnt start seeing rusults until I started using my homemade mix.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Deepsouthdeerjunky
15 lbs of dicalcium phosphate, 20 lbs of white salt, and 25 lbs of trace minerals... it works better a lil earlier in the summer but they will still use it once they find it. You may want to put something out to help them find it though, it doesnt have a very potent aroma so i mix a bag of evolved harvests Black Magic in with it so they can smell it and locate it easier. They typically only sell the lick stuff in 50 lb bags but all together the whole thing shouldnt cost you more than 60 bucks or so and it will last for close to a year before you have to replenish it usually!
since the whole value of this stuff came up i shouldve mentioned that when you buy these big bags u can make about 4 or 5 stations for tht price.. so rele ur only paying around 10 or 12 dollars per spot and thts giving them a lil nutrients and not just salt.... idk how much that extra stuff helps in other cases but i know in my spots they hit it bettter than regular salt... especially in the summer and post season