Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Stealth Cam

Old 08-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Spike

Default Stealth Cam

Hi All,

I just recently purchased a Jim Shockey stealth cam v650, it is my first one and I have since read the not so good reviews. Did I make a mistake? This will mainly be on a feeder area, so the slow trigger speed isnt that much of a concern, but I heard it eats batteries. Thanks
Old 08-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

What did you pay for it? I love my Wildview cams (which are the same company) and the time I sent one back to them because it got infested by ants, they replaced it with a more expensive brand new ( not even on the market yet) Stealth cam because they didnt have any Xtreme 4's currently in stock. I had nothing but problems with it and they sent me another Wildview Xtreme 4 to make up for it. I wouldnt worry about future problems with it because Stealthcam has very good customer service even though their turn around time is 3-5 weeks during their busy season. But Stealth cams in my opinion are very high priced for what they have to offer and there are alot better cams for less money on the market so depending what you paid for it and if you can exchange it/ return it, you might want to consider doing so. Pike

Last edited by J Pike; 08-09-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got an older Stealthcam I590 and that thing has been a real workhorse. As long as you don't expect it to take 2 pics per second I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Blessings......Pastorjim
Old 08-10-2011, 03:27 AM
Spike

I paid 73.00 to my door for it, on ebay. For my use by my house it should be ok, just didn,t wanna to be buying batteries all the time. Can I rig a motorcycle battery to it? Thx
Old 08-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleC
I paid 73.00 to my door for it, on ebay. For my use by my house it should be ok, just didn,t wanna to be buying batteries all the time. Can I rig a motorcycle battery to it? Thx
Providing your camera has a 12 volt external port, you can use a 12 volt motorcycle battery, one from a ride on lawnmower, golf cart etc. The center pin on the plug is positive. These plugs can be used from an old electrics game (attari etc). Just just off the transformer. Usually the positive wire will have a white tracer line, or dotted line or grey tracer line on it. Check for continuity with a digital meter. I usually mark the positive wire with a white tape with a "+" on it for quick identification at the end you want to connnect to the battery. Do not reverse the wires or you will fry a component in the camera. The camera may still work but not the external port. An electronics shop may also carry this plug. They come in: straight, right angle and multi tee style. When I had my Wild View Ez Cam (the early style) I wired all 10 of my cameras that way. Those Wild View were hard on batteries. One can also operate the camera in much colder and longer conditions. However, once the battery drops to around 5.5 to 6 volt range, this is too low a volt to operate the camera properly. In cold weather, bring the battery in and warm it up to room temperature before recharging. A cold battery will not recharge as quickly as a warm one and with a cold battery, there is a chance it could explode when recharging. A handy piece of equipment is a digital multimeter for checking batteries in the field or else where.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

I also have a stealth cam i890 which is similar to the i590 and even though its got a slow trigger speed, this cam takes the best pics of my scoutguard wgir4 and moultrie d40. I really like it. the night pics are amazing. Scoot