Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Batteries Not Lasting >

Batteries Not Lasting

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Batteries Not Lasting

Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question Batteries Not Lasting

I thought I would start using trail cams this year and run the risk of having them stolen,so I'm starting cheap to offset the possible loss of the cams. I bought a brand called Wildgame Innovations,it is a model iR3c and I love the ease of use for the money.It takes great daytime pics and so so night time pics. My problem is that it eats batteries,about 4 c cells in 10 days time after just taking 100 or so pics. Is this normal for this brand of cheaper camera or is it abnormal? I'm waiting for a response from Wildgame on the problem but I thought maybe one of you guys might know something I don't.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

doetrain: I'm not familiar with the Wildgame brand of cameras. Switching to rechargeable batteries will save you money in the long run. I realize they are costly to start with. I am using "Pure Energy" rechargeables available at most Walmart stores. These batteries are manufactured in Canada and retail here for around $10.98 for a package of 2 before taxes. Wal Mart also sells an excellent charger by Pure Energy for approximately $28.00 Canadian before tax. This charger will recharge 4 each of AAA, or AA or C, or D and also has 2 ports for 9 Volt. I am using "C" rechargeables and have two of those chargers. I have been very happy with them. Energizer is another brand of rechargeable batteries listing at 1.2 volt out of the package. Testing these with a digital meter I have found them at 1.22 volt to 1.28 volt out of the package and putting them in the above mentioned charger, they will charge to 1.38 to 1.44 volt. These are a slow drain battery. The Pure Energy are fully charged out of the package at 1.55 volt. I originally had 10 of the early version WildView EZ Cam. These were hard on batteries. Since cameras now are capable of video, I sold mine and switched to 7 each of the 2009 model Bushnell Trophy Trail Camera, 3 each Moultrie GameSpy D55-IR and 2 each SpyPoint IRB. Moultrie when set to video, take a picture first, then the video. Moultrie night videos are limited to 10 second.
Other excellent batteries are Lithium for cold weather. Some forum members
suggest "Tenergy". Not sure of the proper spelling of the word "Tenergy" but due know the first three letters are correct.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the long run it probably is a good idea to switch to rechargables but in your case the problem probably lies with the camera.

Blessings......Pastorjim
Old 06-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's the problem with most "cheap" cams, they give subpar pics and eat batteries which we all know aren't cheap therefore in a short amount of time you have spent a fortune keeping them running and have easily surpassed the price of a better cam. I suggest going to chasinggame.com and loooking at the reviews and tests the run before you purchase a cam. My Moultrie & Cudde's take hundred and hundreds of pics and still have tons of battery at the end of the season. If you are concerned about theft don't put them where they are highly visible. Sometimes sacraficing the "best" cam spot is worth lowering the temptation factor of a-holes who think they can take whatever they want.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cheap cams act cheap.
They eat batteries and have slow triggers.
Get into the $200 and up and the cams are very good on batteries and trigger speed.
My Scoutguard is out 11months a year and I only switch batteries twice a yr.
My Cudde Captures are out the same amount and I change batteries about 4x a yr in them.
My Reconyx will take 40,000-50,000 pics on one set of batteries but the cam was $450.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:28 AM
Spike

I have a cheap Wildgame Innovations 1.3mp and it eats the batteries exactly like yours does...
Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks evryone for the info so far,I figured it had a lot to do with the quality of the purchase. I would like to invest in a better brand and have at least one I can spot check my areas from time to time but it truely is an investment to buy these bad boys isn't it. The only consolation so far is that I did get a pretty decent pic of a nice 8 pointer who looks like he will be a 120 to 130 class Buck by September based on the growth I've seen so far. I know this is not a giant but for me he would be a great Buck to harvest. Thanks again for your input.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by doetrain
Thanks evryone for the info so far,I figured it had a lot to do with the quality of the purchase. I would like to invest in a better brand and have at least one I can spot check my areas from time to time but it truely is an investment to buy these bad boys isn't it. The only consolation so far is that I did get a pretty decent pic of a nice 8 pointer who looks like he will be a 120 to 130 class Buck by September based on the growth I've seen so far. I know this is not a giant but for me he would be a great Buck to harvest. Thanks again for your input.
I got a reply from Wildgame Innovations and they are sending me a new Trail Cam to replace mine which they say has a short in it and is causing the problem. I would have been satisfied with a repair but they are sending me a new unit,thats pretty good customer service in my book.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Will you let us know if that fixes the problem or if the problem continues with the new camera?

cc
Old 06-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear you are getting help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.