Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Not feeling very smart today >

Not feeling very smart today

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Not feeling very smart today

Old 06-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Not feeling very smart today

Had my 4 trail cams out for the past week and a half. It was about a 2 mile walk in. Got to the checked the first cam I came to, it was a P32 I had just finished. Awesome, 120 pics! Moved to my next cam that was about a mile in. It was my Cuddeeback, Nice! another 140 picss. Moved on to my next one, P41 and a SS Board stuffed in a 1040. DAMN IT!!!! Forgot to turn the camera on! Then I went to the next one. Another P32, with a Yeti kit. DAMN! Forgot to turn that one on too! Actually, they were both on, but both in view mode. O ut of the 250 oe so pics, the only thing I got worth postin is 1 pic of my first fawn of the year, and a few pics of my best buck of the year so far.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't be too tough on yourself Darren, I've done the same thing more than one.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 06-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh I know, no big deal. I am just glad I didnt leave them for any longer then I did. I had planned on trying to leave them for atleast 2 weeks.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:10 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Well BD I learned that trick much earlier than you of not turning on the TCs!

Then I left them off as I needed additional SD cards and one placement surely would have captured a bear tearing up my bird feeders.

Thanks to you I am learning!

One other problem I had/have is ant colonies setting up home inside the cameras!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have heard about guys having a problem with ants before, but I have yet to have that problem.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Well since I retired from the insect control business - not a problem. I used a bit of Deltamethrin dust to which took care of the problem and hopefully will prevent it from coming back.
One other option is to spray any type of House and Garden insectide in a large plastic bag and then insert your camera and seal the bag for a day. That will fumigate it and kill every thing. But the trick is to prevent them from the get go thus the light coat of dust in a fe key areas. I even treated the bear boxes I use to secure the cameras.

Both camera's I bought from you have been treated as both had ant colonies.

JW
Old 06-22-2011, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

I keep permetherin spray with me when I'm checking cams to spray the area or box. No problems here.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:03 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Jman - since I worked in the aerosol industry and with insecticides, be carefull using spray insecticide products directly on plastic and painted surfaces - some product chemistry's are plasticizers and will cause the plastic to melt or deform or cloud!

Insect repellents using deet are real good at this.

JW
Old 06-23-2011, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW!
Jman - since I worked in the aerosol industry and with insecticides, be carefull using spray insecticide products directly on plastic and painted surfaces - some product chemistry's are plasticizers and will cause the plastic to melt or deform or cloud!

Insect repellents using deet are real good at this.

JW
I mix my own homebrew stuff...don't spray the camera directly either...just the area around it or the box it is in.