Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Tick Problem????? >

Tick Problem?????

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Tick Problem?????

Old 06-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Spike

Default Tick Problem?????

Just wondering how many ticks is too many on a deer, I've never put cameras out this early so I'm not sure if this is a common problem.
I'll post picks later but one young buck has blood all down the back of his neck an a swollen bloody eye from dozens of ticks.

Should I be worried????
Old 06-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know how many they normally have. All I know is that if I make a short hike through the woods this time of year I will have 3 or 4 on me. The deer are in the woods all the time. Just think how many they come in contact with!

rw
Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't imagine living out there 24/7 with those things. I don't know how many on a deer would be normal but I'm sure under the right conditions, They could definately do damage to about any animal.

Blessings.......Pastorjim
Old 06-10-2011, 05:05 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Are you sure the blood is from tick bites and is not a result from some injury?

Bloody eye? I suspect the deer was hit by a car. Ticks do not ooze blood but will or do get engorged with blood and then drop off the animal once filled to lay eggs and then die.

JW
Old 06-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Spike

Im prettty confident its ticks
Attached Thumbnails Tick Problem?????-cdy_0263.jpg   Tick Problem?????-cdy_0262.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 06:43 AM
Spike

Im not too worried about it....... if a deer can survive being shot surely it can survive a few dozen tickets aslongas theirs no diseases.

Im pretty excited about this year gonna have some nice bucks on my Missouri farm.

Cant wait to put the majority of my cameras in Kansas.
Attached Thumbnails Tick Problem?????-cdy_0398.jpg   Tick Problem?????-cdy_0380.jpg   Tick Problem?????-cdy_0460.jpg   Tick Problem?????-cdy_0462.jpg  
Old 06-11-2011, 07:07 AM
JW
Super Moderator

And I agree as I can see the ticks now and in another post on this forum a doe's ear are back lit very nice and you can see engorged ticks.

Hope I did not ruffle any feathers
JW
Old 06-11-2011, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is really nasty and can't be much fun to live with. There have been cases up north where moose have been found with such bad tick infestations that it killed them.