Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
My Homemade Mineral Lick >

My Homemade Mineral Lick

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

My Homemade Mineral Lick

Old 05-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default My Homemade Mineral Lick

I have had several guys ask me what I use at my mineral sites, so I thought I would just post it here.

Everything was bought at Fleet Farm.

1- 50 pound bag of Dicalcium Phosphate
1- 50 pound bag og mix-n-fine salt ( I think this is also called stock salt)
2- 50 pound bags of Trace Mineral Salt

I am on the same bags as the beginning of last year. I started it in the spring last year, and freshened it 1 time in the middle of summer. I dug a small hole with the heel of my boot, and poored some it into the hole. I cleared the area with a rake first. Then I just mixed some of the mixture with the soil that I waked away, and spread it out over the spot. Then poored some more over the top, just to get it started..

Dont mix the 3 parts together untill right before you use it. (not sure why, thats just what I was told). Mix 2 parts of the Trace minerals, 1 part of Dicalcium Phosphate, and 1 part of the mix-n-fine together. Thats about it. I should add, that I have 3 mineral sites, and I had enough to do it 2 times last year, and I had enough to do it the first time this year, so now I will have to go get more. I think the total cost was between $40 an $50.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I go through about 3 trace mineral blocks per site a yr.
They cost me $5 a pop.
Deer love them.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

i do a mix very similiar except I sprinkle POWDERED sugar on the top of the mix when I pour it out and let it settle in naturally. I have also heard of people using grape kool-aid (with sugar in it) and doing the same thing. I know the deer love the "sweetness" of the mixture and gobble it right up.