Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
reconyx hyperfire 500 >

reconyx hyperfire 500

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

reconyx hyperfire 500

Old 04-16-2011, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default reconyx hyperfire 500

Did you set yours up different from the default settings? Talk me through what I should know about what works best.

Already tested it and it works well with great pics. The mapping software that cam with the cam is the most up to date map I've ever seen. Looks like it mapped my woods last fall. Brings it in closer than any I've ever seen too. Don't care for the bungee, too short for starters but the camo is darn near perfect.

What have you learned using yours?
Old 04-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have one, wish I did, but do you have any pics you could post from it?

Blessings......Pastorjim
Old 04-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
I don't have one, wish I did, but do you have any pics you could post from it?

Blessings......Pastorjim
I'm not real savy on posting pics and frankly I don't like posting any on the net but you can go to their site and see them.

In the past 2 months I've tried 3 other camera's, Moltrie ir 55, stealth cam ir "unit" and the Cuddy ir capture. The moltrie worked ok and took good clear pics, just to slow to get the shot before whatever passed mostly and the software upgrade cause my computer to open dozens of pages when I tried to use it. To top it off there was a warning that stopping the upgrade requires a return to the factory. Software upgrades are not often discussed but important. The Stealth never worked, wouldn't record an image, took them just never stored them. The Cuddy for all the talk was worthless. Night time pics very bad and unless you were right in front of the thing doing jumping jacks it never took a pic. I was very disappointed and no one has to take my word for it, I read all the reviews on the cam after I bought it, 50+ people can't all be wrong. Do it the way I did it and it's kind of like saving up for it.

No place has any of them set up to see them work so I bought them from a place that allowed returns. The Reconyx I got on line and it doesn't have one negative review, none under 5 stars out of 5 and the dealer is so confident I'll never return it he had no problem offering me the same return policy as the store. No one has ever returned one to him.

If you haven't seen them lately the Hypers are half the size of the older models. I really like that. It isn't the covert either but I doubt the red emitters will ever be noticed. I was looking right at the camera testing it out and I had a hard time seeing it looking right at it. If you weren't looking for it, you'd never see it, draws no attention to it's self.

I'm no fan boy and I sound like one so I'll return to my normal skeptical self until I've had it a while.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everything you said about the other cameras is true, especially the Cudde. I have the previous model Reconyx and I'm definately a fanboy of them. When it comes to trailcams, there's simply nothing like them.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 04-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
Everything you said about the other cameras is true, especially the Cudde. I have the previous model Reconyx and I'm definately a fanboy of them. When it comes to trailcams, there's simply nothing like them.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Didn't those come with some settings other than the default settings? The reason I ask is the test pics I took got the camera fired up quick and often but after I left the shot it picked up the movement of the trees/brush for a few more, it was very windy. The second set of test pics showed me I need to be more particular is pointing the thing.

I'll pick it apart bit by bit but I was kind of wondering if others had already did that and what they found works best. I also needed one for home security reasons. I like how it picked me up.