Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Rechargeable Batteries & Flash >

Rechargeable Batteries & Flash

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Rechargeable Batteries & Flash

Old 03-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rechargeable Batteries & Flash

Has anyone had rechargeable batteries blow the flash out of a trail cam? I started using the Tenergy rechargeables in my Moultrie D40 and now the flash wont work. It may be a coincidence and the cold weather we have had, but I figured I would ask. I have had flahes go out in other D40's as well. Im hoping the batteries arent causing this because I have them in another cam now.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use only recharchables in my homebrews and have never had a problem. I've never used them in a commercial cam but I don't see how they could cause a problem unless they're defective. T
You might use a volt meter on them to see if the voltage is what it's supposed to be.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 03-22-2011, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use all rechargeable 6V lantern batteries on mine.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Huntingtherut View Post
Has anyone had rechargeable batteries blow the flash out of a trail cam? I started using the Tenergy rechargeables in my Moultrie D40 and now the flash wont work. It may be a coincidence and the cold weather we have had, but I figured I would ask. I have had flahes go out in other D40's as well. Im hoping the batteries arent causing this because I have them in another cam now.
I am using rechargeable batteries in 3 each of Moultrie GameSpy D55-IR, in 7 each of the 2009 Bushnell Trophy Trail camera and in 2 each of the SpyPoint IRB. So far no problems. I use Energizer "C" which out of the package range from 1.2 to 1.28 volt, but putting them on a charger boosts them up to 1.38 to 1.44 volt. I use "AA" by Pure Energy Solutions which state 1.50 volt on the package and come fully charged. These can be boosted to 1.55 to 1.60 volt. I believe this name has since been changed to Pure Energy as they use the same telephone number. I also use "C" Pure Energy which come fully charged at 1.50 volt and again can be boosted up to 1.55 to 1.60 volt. Pure Energy are manufactured in Canada and sold at most WalMarts. WalMart also carries a large charger by Pure Energy. It will recharge 4 each of AAA, or AA or C or D batteries. It also has two ports for recharging 9 volt. I have also recharged the Energizer batteries with it.
I originally had 10 each of the Wild View Ez Cam. Being they were very hard on batteries, I used the 300 series Energizer 12 volt, which gave a lot more lasting power and I could operate down to -30degrees Farenheit due to the larger capacity. No problems here. I did sell all these cameras when switching over to the above brands that would do video. My cameras are out in all weather conditions.
If your batteries haven't leaked or exploded, I would think you have a camera fault.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

common problem with the D-40's. not the batteries .
Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info everyone. Very informative and exactly what I was hhoping to hear. I will continue to use the rechargeables. With the amount of money I will save over the long term, I can purchase a new cameras when the flash goes bad.