Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Too many coons and possums >

Too many coons and possums

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Too many coons and possums

Old 03-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Spike

Default Too many coons and possums

I've been playing with my first camera and have had pretty good luck with corn as bait until lately. I have also put out a red salt block and deer cain liquid. I'm only getting coons and possums lately on the corn with nothing touching the block or deer cain. Any suggestions on what to try next?
Old 03-05-2011, 01:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blocks and deer cain are minerals and it's been my experience that the deer pretty much ignore the mineral products until later in the spring. I don't know why they are not hitting your corn. Maybe they are on different travel routes right now and your usual sites are not being used. You might try entrances and exits to crop fields and see if that works out for you.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 03-05-2011, 11:29 AM
Spike

There hitting the corn but just lately the coons and possum have taken over my site. I switched to a hanging bucket feeder this week and I checked it this am and had more deer pics than coon or possum.

My feeder is made like this one but this is not my pic.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/strauby_44/whitetail1283.jpg

Last edited by LEE BROWN; 03-05-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The deer are still nailing my trace mineral blocks. I put another one out Friday.
If you are just introducing them to the blocks then it takes them a little while to get used to them. Once they know what it is they will hit them yr round.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Deer in my area hit the salt block year round,the mineral lick will see more action later this Spring and into summer and Fall.You may need to thin out the Racoons and Possum when they are in Season?Once the Deer find Your Salt and Mineral Lick they will continue to use it more and more,be sure to put in where they have some type of a water source!