Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Cheap Camera using lots of batteries >

Cheap Camera using lots of batteries

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Cheap Camera using lots of batteries

Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cheap Camera using lots of batteries

Ok. My wife bought me a cheap ($50) camera for me last year. It hold 4 C batteries. I have to change the batteries alot. I get lots of pics but it is redicoulos. I plan on buying a better one, but am going to keep this one also. I'm thinking of of hard wiring in a external 6 volt Remington rechargable. I have to strap it to the tree also, but $10 for the bat and $10 for the charger seems like an affordable option so I can keep the cam. Has any one else done this?
Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't state which camera it is but alot of cams already have a port to plug in an external battery. I would think it could be done.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 12-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

rechargeable's and a solar panel will be good.
make sure you look for reviews on the cams you might get later.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

You are probably referring to the wildview II. I stopped using mine because it was using 4 C's a week! I have had other cameras in the past and never had an issue with them using so many batteries like this cam (not even the old 35mm one's either) It got better when you go to one picture at a time instead of the burst mode but still eats em up! I thought it was just my POS but friends that got them report the same issue.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had excess to 14 Wild View Ez Cam trail cameras. Out of 10 cameras, 4 were replaced under warranty which equals 14 total cameras. I found these cameras very hard on batteries. To help relieve this situation, I went to the 12 volt external port using the 300 series energizer. I also tried rechargeable "C" batteries. Some forum members suggested using solar panels. Any of these ideas or suggestions are okay if using a few cameras. Start increasing the number of cameras and your investment gets pretty high. Also using regular or rechargeable "C" batteries, you need several extra for backup or replacement when checking your cameras.
I have since replaced these cameras for two reasons: 1)high battery consumption, 2)all cameras were replaced with ones that would take video (this just adds to the interest and action of trail cameras).
I replaced these cameras with: 7 each 2009 model Bushnell Trophy Trail camera, 2 each Spy Point IRB and 3 Moultrie Gamespy D55-IR. All these cameras are now using rechargeable batteries.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

The cam. is a wildview. I cant find a 12-vlt port. I thought it might be better by using 1 bigger 6 volt rather than the c batteries. Any thoughts? I wonder if it could take a 12 vlt battery or if it would ruin the thing. Wasnt planning on doing that, but if someonelse has tried this or knows if it would work let me know.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoulder Strap: Look on the bottom of the camera toward the right, as you face the front of it. This is where the 12 volt port was for my Wild View Ez Cam. It had a rubber plug in the hole. You can check your manual diagram or if you have misplaced the manual, go to Wild View website, select your camera model and download the manual. If you have a retired power supply from an Attari etc. with a barrel type plug, cut off the transformer (the block piece that plugs into the wall outlet and discard it). One wire should have either a white or dotted tracer. The other wire will be black. Using a multimeter to check: with the meter set at continuity, put one meter lead into the center of the barrel plug and touch the other meter lead to the wire with the tracer. This should show continuity. Label this wire end "+" as this will go to the positive post of your 12volt battery. As a word of caution: 1)make sure your camera is turned off when hooking up the external battery and 2)do not reverse the positive or negative wires when hooking up the battery or you will fry the external port system of the camera. Even though your camera only takes 4 "C" batteries which will total 6 volt, it is wired for the 12 volt port. Your computer card in the camera will have a resistor which reduces the incoming voltage to 6 volt. Hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks littlearrrow I just happen to have a digital multi meter. The 12 vlts should help with my problem. Thanks again