Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Plotwatcher video time lapse Cameras >

Plotwatcher video time lapse Cameras

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Plotwatcher video time lapse Cameras

Old 09-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Spike

Default Plotwatcher video time lapse Cameras

Anyone purchased a Plotwatcher? Results good or Bad ? I am seriously considering these but need some feedback. Already have Moultrie cams
and they do a good job.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Spike

Check out chasingame.com they've got a good review.

These cameras only last for 6 or 7 days so not good for ppl like me who live hours away. They r however working on a external power supply that could last up to thirty days so that could be nice. Also, if the deer r further then 20 TSS u can't really tell the size of the bucks it has a zoom feature but itz real blurry.

I think it'd be fun to stick one of these high over looking a food plot u may not be able to identify each deer but u could easily get a general idea of where the deer r entering an exiting the field.

My opinion, these cameras r good for scouting not for inventorying your deer like tradition cameras
Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Spike

Thanks For the info, I love the whole game camera thing its almost as much fun as hunting.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Probably wait a year or 2 on the zooming cams, need some time to work out the bugs.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
Probably wait a year or 2 on the zooming cams, need some time to work out the bugs.
This!

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 10-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

I have one, and I do like it. It is educational to watch where the deer and turkeys are coming from, and what they are doing naturally. It is very easy to use, but aiming can be an issue. As mentioned, the battery life leaves a lot to be desired (4 days average when taking pictures every 5 seconds, no mid day skip). They only take photos during the day, so anything that comes through after dark is missed. I would love it if/when they have an external battery pack. I think it is great for patterning deer and turkeys, watching plots, watching large fields, and as a security camera for watching entry into a property (very easy to hide). I do think it could help you locate a traditional trail camera in places you may not have otherwise considered.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

they seem to be geared more for checking the activity in an area than actualy judging the scoreable inches of your buck. with one of these on a plot i would think you can narrow down where you would put your cuddy or stealth cam to get more info, specificaly IR nite time work.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Spike

I've been using 2 Plotwatchers this year. They are great for watching fields to pattern deer. As some have said, judging deer from more than about 20-30 yards is difficult but consider you wouldn't have had the picture at all with your traditional trail camera. I've gotten up to 10 days on 10 seconds with a 4hr midday skip. For those that aren't familiar; the camera takes a picture every 5 or 10 seconds, turns on at daylight, can skip the middle of the day to conserve batteries, and a full day can be reviewed in about 10 minutes or less. I've got pictures of a bachelor group of 9 bucks in October that walked through a field. Would have never put a trail cam there. I'm also using it to pattern deer activity based on lunar phase and weather to better understand deer movement. I've found that some of the better traditional trail cameras take great pictures if the deer is moving slowly and within about 20ft. Also, who cares what is moving at night? I can't hunt deer at night in Alabama.
A couple pics from my Plotwatcher.

Last edited by ronman1; 12-20-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Have you looked at the new Ltl Acorn 5210? It is a traditional game cam but it also is programable into a time lapse mode with you determining how long between pictures. I put mine at 5 minute intervals and it will take pictures all night long as well if you have it over a feeder area. It is programmable to only a day mode also.

Using Tenergy LSD rechargeables I can get over 8500 pics before they start to where down. That is 70 days you can watch over a large area without having to change out batteries. Talk about establishing a pattern.

I am usually not an early adopter but I purchased this camera from Rick @ C-A-M-O two weeks ago and really love everything about it so far. Really lights up the area with the IR at night and gives really nice daytime photos. Mine is in the field right now but I will be posting pics up soon for you to see.