Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Opinion on Moultrie  D-55 IR >

Opinion on Moultrie D-55 IR

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Opinion on Moultrie D-55 IR

Old 08-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Spike

Default Opinion on Moultrie D-55 IR

I'm looking for opinions on a Moultrie D-55 IR
Good, bad or indifferent.
Thanks for the help.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

I just bought 2 of them and really like what I have seen so far. Will post pics after I pull the cards out in a week or so.

I did have one issue... I bought an 8 Gb SD card and the cam showed 69 events but when I went to put it in my cuddy viewer all but one pic was just a black image. I tried it in my Kodak camera as well and it told me I had to format the card, I tried but nothing. The 2 GB card works fine but this 8 isn't. I think the card is an SDHC. Does anyone know what the HC at the end is for and could this card not be compatible and why would my 26th pic of 69 be clear as day yet every other pic is black?

Also one more note. The SD card in my cams go in backwards (metal side out). The manufacturer put the SD card housing in backwards. Don't try to force the card in if you get one like this. It's not all of them just some from one of the first production runs of the D 55 IR. Not a big deal just not the way a card normally would go into a camera.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

SDHC is secure digital high capacity. there are many cameras(not just trail cameras) that do not accept that high capacity of a memory card. A lot of digital cameras accept a max of 4gb which is a ton of pictures. Its probably more pictures then then camera will take before the batteries die. 2gb on a 4megapizel camera will hold over 500 pictures.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

I just got the d 55 ir a couple of weeks ago it can handle up to a 16 gb card so that should not matter I put a 2 gb sdhc in and had 80 pics in 24 hours but that was with a burst mode of 3 pics every time something triggers it So far all my pics turned out great excellent daytime pics and for the most part good night time pics. I am overall pleased with the camera. Plus I have a decent 10 pt on it and the camera is only 50 yards from my back door
Old 08-06-2010, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by itsslow98
SDHC is secure digital high capacity. there are many cameras(not just trail cameras) that do not accept that high capacity of a memory card. A lot of digital cameras accept a max of 4gb which is a ton of pictures. Its probably more pictures then then camera will take before the batteries die. 2gb on a 4megapizel camera will hold over 500 pictures.
The d-55 Ir will handle up to a 16 Gb as mentioned above. I have solar charges for my cams so the battery isn't an issue. The cam with the 8 Gb sdhc card is for use in another state and I wanted the extra storage being that our feeders last 3 months at a shot with 300 Lb feed. I asked a friend to borrow his SD card reader which handles higher Gb cards. Just weird to me that picture #26 was clear and the rest just had a time with an all black image. It isn't the IR b/c there is no date, temp, moon phase or time stamped on the image just black and the cuddyviewer shows when the event occurred. Just seems like the data isn't being stored to the card.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Spike

Thanks for the replies.
Which solar chargers are you using?
Also, I have found the 55ir online for $99.99 with no tax and free shipping. Any one know of a better deal?

Thanks again,
Old 08-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

I have the moultrie 12V solar charger for the cams, the 9V chargers don't work for them. Look on Ebay for the chargers we picked up 2 for less than $60 each compared to the $85 + direct from moultrie.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

Checked the card again today after I reset the cuddyviewer, the pic did not show on the viewer but I was able to download pics to laptop. I tried reformatting the card in my Kodak cam as it directed when I tried to view it. The pics were all messed up kinda looked like they were cut apart with a scissors and mismatched and taped back together but I think that was from trying to format it on the Kodak which it failed to do anyway. I need to buy another SD card viewer and I will try the card again this week when I change my others cards out. This issue may have been my mistake and not an issue with the cam or card just the cuddyviewer and Kodak couldn't handle the 8 Gb card.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

If memory serves me correctly someone posted a reply on here that they got an e-mail from Moultrie stating that their new card-reader may not accept SD cards from other makes of trail camera's...so I'm thinking that a cuddeback card-reader may have issues with other different brands of card-readers because of formatting issues etc...?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
If memory serves me correctly someone posted a reply on here that they got an e-mail from Moultrie stating that their new card-reader may not accept SD cards from other makes of trail camera's...so I'm thinking that a cuddeback card-reader may have issues with other different brands of card-readers because of formatting issues etc...?
Thanks, it makes sense. I can't view the pics on the cuddyviewer but can use it to upload pics to my laptop. But I have used it for lower gig Moultrie cards and it worked fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.