Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
How old and what score? >

How old and what score?

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

How old and what score?

Old 07-26-2010, 02:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default How old and what score?

Hey Everybody. I was on here last year, and I just remembered there were so many people here that are willing to help and give their opinions, so here I am looking for them. This buck has started frequenting our property. I do not remember seeing him last year. There was another big one, Goliath, and he is back, but he only comes around once a week. This guy, I call Bonkers, is here almost every night. I took these 2 pictures on the 22nd with my Canon, these are not trail cam photos. I have many of those. These are just a little better.
So, how old does everybody think this guy is, and what will he score when all is said and done? I may never see him while bowhunting, but it's nice to know he's out there.
Attached Thumbnails How old and what score?-bonkersme722.jpg   How old and what score?-bonkersback722.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking buck, I would put him in the 3 1/2 to 4 year old range and looks like he is still growing, he won't score real big unfortnately he is short on tine length but has nice beam length I'm going to put him around the 100" mark and maybe as high at 115 when he is done growing. Score isn't everything he is a goo mature looking buck you should be proud to get a opportunity at him.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:09 AM
Spike

He looks much younger, I would say he has the body build of a 2.5 year old. However i am not that familiar with NY deer. He still has some growing to do, but 120's seems a fair score, when its all said and done. That deer will definitely be something to look for if he makes it another year.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to say that He's a 2.5 year old Buck also,still has lots of good potential to be a real Monster in the next year or 2!If Your seeing a Bigger Buck I would hold off and try and shoot the bigger Buck "Goliath" if possible?If your Bow Hunting and you feel it will be your biggest Buck with a Bow it would be awful hard not to shoot Bonkers and have him mounted especially if you get to hunt while their still in velvet,once the antlers started to drop down in size/shrink and the velvet comes off Mr. Bonkers is going to be a lot smaller in antler size!

I'm not the best at judging Antler Scoring but compared to a few of the Bucks I've shot over the years I'm guessing he will score a little over 100-120 range?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guessing he'll be 3.5 and around 90inches.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:39 AM
Spike

3 1/2 and around the 110 let him grow for one more year. Great growing potential.

Dustin
Team Northwoods TV
Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

I am no expert, but I have been looking into aging deer on the hoof. Here is a good reference:

http://www.1atexasdeerhunting.com/bodyagingdeer.htm

When I look at him, I see minimal brisket, a swayed back, and a relatively slender body. I would guess at most 2.5 years old, although he could be an older 1.5 year old.