Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Good Price on Bushnell 2009 Trophy Cam? >

Good Price on Bushnell 2009 Trophy Cam?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Good Price on Bushnell 2009 Trophy Cam?

Old 06-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Good Price on Bushnell 2009 Trophy Cam?

First, I's like to thank everyone that helped on my previous post on this forum, it really helped!

After doing some research on the Moultrie I40 and the Bushnell Trail Cam I'm starting to lean towards the Bushnell. The main reason is that I have seen some good reviews, on both but mainly the size of the Bushnell was the deciding factor. I hunt right outside of Chicago on some small pieces of land. All are legal to hunt but are only a couple acres in size and have some neighboring lots with houses so I'm probably going to go with the Bushnell for 2 reasons:

1) The size, I hunt small private land but you never know when someone may be walking on the land that isn't supose to be there. The small size of the Bushnell really makes it easily hideable. Plus, the camo one that I'm looking at would virtually disappear in the spots I plan to put it. The larger Moultire might stick out even when in camo.

2) The picture quality looks very good as well. The Moultrie may have more IR bulbs but the size may worry me a bit, especially in the nicer fall months. Plus, the videos Ive seen on youtube really do look great.

Well, the main question I have is I want to make sure I get a good price. I just found the 2009 Bushnell Camo Trophy cam (5mp) for $149 from a well know outdoors store. I was wondering if this is a good price? The camera is brand new and on sale. What does everyone think? For that price I really don't think I can go wrong. $160 after shipping seems like a very good price. If you guys think that's a price please let me know. I'm just about to order one or two but don't want to hear that it isn't a great price. Thanks!

PS, if its a good price, let me know and I'll IM over where I saw it. Don't want them to run out until I get mine!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

fastetti: The price you mention is very good. Just make sure that the camera is a 2009. The 2009 model should: 1) have the manufacture date on the back near the lower right hand area. 2) the led's should line up as two rectangles of 12 on each side. The reason I mention this is: a seller on E Bay quoted the cameras as a 2009. The picture showed staggered led's which are a 2008 model. When I bought my first cameras, the store tried to tell me they were the 2010 model. I had seen previews of the 2010 where there are two sets of 16 led's in rectangles. When I tried to explain the difference, their next sales story was that they had been shipped with their 2010 order. I explained to them this was possible as this order had arrived during the month of February 2010. I then proceded to show them where to find the manufacture date. I went back to that store a few weeks later and purchased some more 2009 models as I was very happy with the first ones. Between purchase dates I had done more research and printed out information and pictures of different year models to help there staff. In total I now have seven of the 2009 models each with the picture viewer. I find the viewing screen useless as far as viewing a decent picture due to the small size. However a screen is required for set up. I would check on the camera that does not list as having the viewing screen to see what is visible for set up before purchase. Each one of mine had a label on the front that said viewing screen. The other ones when opened may look similiar but just not show pictures or videos you have taken. I am able to use the following: up to a maximum 2 GB SD card in the following brands: SanDisk. Kodak and Verbatim. The cameras are very easy on batteries. I have mine all set at 30 second video with a 10 second delay. I just recently changed my setting from "Normal" to "High"
sensitivity as advised by a forum member. The reason being, some of the animals were already in the center of the picture at the start of the video. I'll see how this works for me the next time I change out the cards. I am set up along trails and some for security as well. I do not use baits. Bushnell also has a 2 year warrantee, and very helpful in there emails. I have also heard good reports on the later 2010 models from other forum members. Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Littlearrow, Thanks for the quick reply! I appreciate it. Im one of those people that likes to do a lot of research on my purchases before I get them. I'd rather spend a few hours doing research than getting mad once hunting season rolls around about something I could prevented!

The LEDs on the camera I am looking are in rows and identical on each side. There 2 boxes of 3 across and 4 high, for a total of 24. Ive seen some on ebay advertised at 2009 but they have the staggered lights that you spoke of. I wouldn't mind one of those but Ive seen them for $140 without warranty and a new 2009 for $160 with warranty, I have to think I'll go with the 2009. The way Ive seen it, the 2008 have staggered lights, the 2009 have two identical sides of lights (12 on each side) and the 2010 have 32 LED lights. Does that sound about right. The good thing about these camera is that the SD disk fits in my camera so I can just check the chip before I get in my stand, video and all. Of course, I always have a second chip on me in case there are some deer I need some better looks at.

The one thing about the camera I am looking at is that it is camo. A big plus in the urban areas I hunt. They may be urban areas but some of the deer are huge and not hunted. This doesn't mean there dumb though. Ive hunted deer that haven't seen a human before and urban deer and they aren't much different.

My father being a retired Cook County Detective (Chicago's County) knows some of the cops that work in the towns that I hunt. I just found out that the overnight guys said that there are a few bucks around that are enormous, one was by my parents house and 2 bucks were in the neighboring towns that were spotting a few times. My father showed a few of the cops this buck a few days ago and said the two that are closer to where I hunt are bigger. This was last year so I'm hoping to get them on camera and eventually with a bow come fall! Im pretty sure this is a fairly young deer so Im thinking of getting a second camera for my parents for there back yard. I currently have a cheap $60 camera that does the job but Im thinking my dad might get a kick out of some video over the bird/deer feeder.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good choice and for good reasons. That is a great price on those units but be careful if it's someone selling them on EBAY. Sometimes the people who sell on there are not authorized dealers and if that's the case, the manufacturer is under no obligation to honor any warranty. Good luck on getting on some of those "urban" bucks this year. Look forward to your pictures.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 06-22-2010, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

I'd definitely say you made the right choice. The I-40 may take slightly better pics, but with a 3+ second trigger speed, 5 second night time video limit, daytime IR pics that are common if not in bright light, as well as size and warranty, makes the Trophy Cam a much better camera, IMO.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

Your making the right choice with the Bushnell. You shouldn't be disappointed.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help guys! Picked up 2 of the cameras today from Cabelas website. I called and they said that it was some sort of online one day sale. Probably would have only got one but no harm in getting a second and if I don't want it I can always return it to the store less a few bucks for shipping and handling. I probably won't put it out for a month or so until the deer get some real growth on them. I'd be a little worried leaving it out for a month without checking it and have it possibly grow legs on me. Again, thanks for the help and I'll share the pics as soon as I put it out!