Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Mineral Licks

Old 03-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Mineral Licks

I posted this over in the regional forum too, but thought it might get mire hits over here. I am planning on setting out some mineral licks in the spring, to set my trail cams over. Dont know if it makes a difference or not, but I live in South East Minnesota. What do you all suggest using? The only thing I have ever tried before is Deer Cocaine, (I think thats what it is called) I have tried the liquid, and the powder that yoiu have to mix with water. Sometimes they went crazy over that stuff, and then sometimes they wouldnt even come near it.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was thinking about trying the trophy rock this year, anyone ever use this?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried the Trophy Rock for the first time last year. The deer did seem to like it and it lasted quite a while. I mainly use a product called lucky buck. It comes in a white bucket and looks like a fine red sand. I have been using it for about five years now and I'm not sure what's all in it but the deer go crazy over it. They will dig in the ground long after the product is no longer visible on the ground. Almost all the pics I post were taken over Lucky Buck.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 03-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Before it was illegal to put mineral blocks out in southern Wisconsin we would just put out salt blocks that we got from the feed mill. The deer loved them and we would get numerous big bucks on camera using them.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

i used trophy rock last year and they are still pawing at the ground tryin to get to it. a mineral lick is a great way to see whats on your land. i use water softner salt on my licks..
Old 03-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE
Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Darren this is what I use, The prices arent right on this. It costs more like 50 total, but i used it all last year and still have some left over and I had 3 different sites. From what i seen last year the deer really tore it up
Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys! Hey Tom, I looked into making my own last year,but in the end, I just went with something that i got at Fleetfarm. (dont even remember what it was) Just posted the latest batch of pics on my Facebook page if anyone wants to see them.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

Ya i took saw those, pretty cool. I have spent a bunch of money on different minerals and attractants, I figured i might as well commit and buy all that stuff to mix myself and save some money in the long run. So far its worked as well as anything else i have used. I'm going to get out and refresh my sites here ans soon as the rest of the snow is gone.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Typical Buck

I found those redish brown blocks they use for live stock work best here.. I have watched deer lick em like a lolly pops..
Old 03-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wvhuntin4me
I found those redish brown blocks they use for live stock work best here.. I have watched deer lick em like a lolly pops..
Those are trace mineral blocks. Thats what I use too.
They are dirt cheap and the deer love'm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.