Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Who's using rechargable batteries??? >

Who's using rechargable batteries???

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Who's using rechargable batteries???

Old 02-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Who's using rechargable batteries???

How many of you are using rechargable batteries in your trail cameras? I have 2 Moultrie I40's that take 6 D-cell batteries each. I've been considering using rechargables and am just wondering if anyone else is. I know I need to watch the rating as soon rechargable D's are not more than a AA in a D housing.

let me know what everyone is using and were you getting em.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not currently using any recharchables but I am considerering them for my Reconyx, since that's what they recommend. I have kind of been going back and forth on using recharchables vs. lithiums. I am curious why you would want to go to the expense of recharchables since a set of d-cells will last 5-6 months in an I-40. Not criticizing, just curious.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 02-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use rechargeables in my Reconyx cameras. It makes it nice when you just swap out batteries an put in some more that you did not have to go spend another $12 for again.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using the Energizer Rechargable batteries (2500 mAH rated capacity,NH50 1.2 V HR 20) in my Moultrie I-60 trail camera...!I believe they cost around $10.00 for 2 batteries and I have 12 of them so I have 2 sets of 6 to change out in my camera's and bring the other set home to start charging for the next time I happen to have a "Low Battery" sign on my camera.I have noticed that when I charge them up and put them in my trail camera they never really show a full charge in the camera itself...it usually shows around 70% to 80% charge at the most and they last fairly long.Now the other day I put the DuraCell Copper top battery's in my other I-60 camera and they have went through Jan and on into Feb which is the 2 coldest months we have had in several years and still show at least 75% charge so I will get around 2-3 months or more on the DuraCell's alone and as the weather warms up they seem to be doing better and I have been getting over 200 pictures or more a week.My Moultrie Camera will use up the battery life faster if I put it on "Video Mode" also.

I tried to find the DuraCells batteries in Rechargable D size but haven't seen any in the local Stores...maybe they don't have them in the D-cells but I have bought them in Rechargable AA and AAA sizes and seem to have better luck with them than the Energizer batterys!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 02-23-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

I don't get even close to 5 months on mine as I run them on full res and video. you'd be surprized what they video w/ catch that the camera doesn't. plus, I have a few other things I can use the batteries on in the off season. I'd like to change the batteries more often when the temps drop. as soon as temps get below 30 degrees on weal batteries the sensing goes to crap.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did a google search "rechargeable battery size". I came up with this:
http://www.frontierpc.com/product/En...r/NH50BP2.html
There is a fair size ad, which I quote part of: Energizer D Size Nickel Metal
Hydride Rechargeable Battery, 2200 mAh. The Battery package (2ea.)
shows 2500 mAh. They are available in Canada as per the ad.
I would think a company in the U.S.A. would also carry something
similiar. Any rechargeable batteries I have used show a voltage of 1.25
and checked with a digital meter after an over night charge reaches 1.37
to 1.39 volt, not 1.50 like the normal battery. I do not use rechargeable
batteries in my cameras (Wild View EZ-Cam) as they have the 12 volt
external port.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

the engerizer D's are no more than a AA in a D case. they're both rated at 2500. D's should be atleast 9,000- 12,000.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Four "D" batteries rated at 1.5 volt hooked up in series provide 1.5 x 4 = 6.0 volt.
The same four "D" batteries, if each is rated at 2500 mAh would provide 4 x 2500=
10,000 mAh.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

I have been using Duracell rechargeable ( AA @ 2650mah ) in my Bushnell trophy cam.
My cameras ( two ) have been out for two months each and they have taken over 4000 pictures on each camera ( 95% night pictures ) and they are still going.
My weather has been in the teens to 35 degrees.
I did just buy some Energizer lithium batteries since that is what bushnell suggest to use.
I figured I would give them a try. If they lastthe 8 - 12 month like Bushnell says, the expense isn't huge.
I going to compare them to the rechargeables to see any differance.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe these will work for you guys that run C size batteries.

http://www.bowhunting.com/shopping/P...s__RC-AAC.aspx