Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Battery Modification on wildview trail cameras >

Battery Modification on wildview trail cameras

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Battery Modification on wildview trail cameras

Old 12-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Spike

Default Battery Modification on wildview trail cameras

It seems to me that someone had posted directions on how to go about modifying the current battery setup in these cameras. If I
remember correctly they ended up maybe using a 6 volt battery.
Can someone steer me in the right direction to this info.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Ezbagr;
I was one of the ones posting for the 12 volt external battery hook up for the Wildview cameras. I have the early version EZ-Cam. I used the barrel plug and wiring from a 12 volt power supply for a game. I cut off the power supply. Now separate the wires for approximately 5 or 6 inches and carefully bare about an inch of the ends. Go very careful as the wire inside is very small. I used a wire stripper. One wire should have a white or light grey tracer. This is the positive wire and goes to the positive post of the battery. The other goes to the negative post. I mark the positve wire with white electrical tape and put a (+) on it. If your wires do not have a tracer, use a meter and set it to continuity. Place one probe in the center of the barrel plug. Now touch the other probe to one of the bared wire ends. The one that shows continuity is the positive end. Do not hook the wires up in reverse or you ruin the 12 volt section of the camera. I started out using a 12 volt 300 series energizer battery from my ride on lawnmower for a test. This worked satisfactory and I since have purchased nine more as I have a total of 10 of these Wildview cameras with the external 12 volt plug. By using the 12 volt system you can take pictures in much colder weather. To fasten the wires to the battery I use a 1/4 by one inch machine bolt, two flat washers and a wing nut. Place a flat washer on either side of the battery lug and loop the bare wire between the washer and the battery lug. I carry a small crecent to hold the bolt head when tighening or loosening the wing nut. I checked some of my cameras today. It was -22 degrees Fahrenheit. I live in southern Manitoba, Canada where we have recently recorded a -30 degree Farenheit temperature. Some of these batteries have been on cameras since early September. I usually check my cameras once or twice a week swapping out the sd cards. I then test my battery with a meter. A word of caution: when hooking up the battery or swapping out sd cards make sure to turn the camera off. You will find this in the instruction manual. Hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Spike

Smile

Littlearrow-thanks alot for the info.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Spike

Littlearrow-did u leave the regilar batteries in the camera or did you take them out???
Old 12-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Ezbagr:
I did not leave the batteries in the my camera. I just read my manual and will quote, "The camera will automatically switch to external power when it is connected, even if the internal batteries are installed."