Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
For what it's worth >

For what it's worth

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

For what it's worth

Old 12-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default For what it's worth

I have been using trail cams since January 09 and here is my experiences. I have two wildview cams, both worked for about 6 months then the flash stopped working. Sent them back and 6 weeks later got two cameras back and the flash still didn't work sent them back. Picture quality is good battery life sucks. I use an external battery.
I have 2 Moltries D-40s. Both just went back to Moltrie because the cameras will automatically shut themselves off after 3-5 days of use. This is based on picture time and date stamps. These cameras were 2 months old. Picture quality is very good, battery life good.
I have one Remington Game cam, so far the thing works great. Been in operation since March. Battery life is very good, picture quality is so so but it does what I need it to do. Tell me when the pigs are there.
Based on my experiences so far I'd rather have all Remington Ghost cams.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think that the moral of your story would be, STOP BUYING CHEAP A$$ TRAIL CAMS!!!

Try a Reconyx and you won't hve anything to complain about. Honestly! You really do get what you pay for when it comes to trail cams.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
I would think that the moral of your story would be, STOP BUYING CHEAP A$$ TRAIL CAMS!!!

Try a Reconyx and you won't hve anything to complain about. Honestly! You really do get what you pay for when it comes to trail cams.
Unlike yourself, not everybody has $550 to spend on a trail cam! For the price range, I agree with what the OP has stated about the Remington. I'm glad I bought mine.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DryForkSlayer
Unlike yourself, not everybody has $550 to spend on a trail cam! For the price range, I agree with what the OP has stated about the Remington. I'm glad I bought mine.
Yes, but the money you guys have wasted buying cheap junky cams that consistently fail..... guess what..... you could have bought a RECONYX!

You've got to look at it long term, not how much money you have in your pocket on the day you happened to be standing at Wal-Mart and decided you want to try a trail cam!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have one of them " cheap junky cams" that you are talking about. I have had it for a few years now. It spent 3 days completly under water in a flood, laying face up, and taking pictures of the junk floating by 3' above it on the surface. I took it home, opened it all up, "dumped" all of the water out of the battery area. Put new batteries in it, and now 2 years later, it is still taking great pictures. I wonder how many of those expencive cameras would keep working after all this.

Ya, it would be nice to have one of those higher end cameras, but I would rather have 5 of my $100 cameras so I could set them all up at different places to pattern my deer.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
Yes, but the money you guys have wasted buying cheap junky cams that consistently fail..... guess what..... you could have bought a RECONYX!

You've got to look at it long term, not how much money you have in your pocket on the day you happened to be standing at Wal-Mart and decided you want to try a trail cam!
Your point is true but, there are still those of us who don't have or buy multiple cameras and can only afford the cheap ones. I myself can't afford to buy multiple cameras at this time. For those that can only afford the cheap ones, it would be best to research which cams have the best history and reviews as well as try to find out their customer service record. I wasn't able to do this prior to purchasing mine but have since found a lot of valuable information and sites to help in the future. This way you can make an informed decision and get the best possible camera in your price range to suite your needs. Like I said, your point is very true for those that go through multiple cheap cameras and would be the best way to go but, not all are able to do this. Just my .02 on ways to use it for those who might not be able to have the best but, would still like to try to enjoy this addicting,fun,and usefull tool!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BigDaddy12t
I have one of them " cheap junky cams" that you are talking about. I have had it for a few years now. It spent 3 days completly under water in a flood, laying face up, and taking pictures of the junk floating by 3' above it on the surface. I took it home, opened it all up, "dumped" all of the water out of the battery area. Put new batteries in it, and now 2 years later, it is still taking great pictures. I wonder how many of those expencive cameras would keep working after all this.

Ya, it would be nice to have one of those higher end cameras, but I would rather have 5 of my $100 cameras so I could set them all up at different places to pattern my deer.
Exactly, just because they're cheap doesn't mean they're all pieces of junk!
Old 12-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Spike

stealth cameras have been improving. and they are pretty darn cheap.