Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Extending battery life? >

Extending battery life?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Extending battery life?

Old 12-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Spike

Default Extending battery life?

Ok guys and gals, I have a question. What methods are you using to extend or get the best battery life from your cameras? I just recently purchased a Remington Ghost and have noticed that it seems to like the batteries. I originaly returned a set of Wildgame cams (the 2 mp kind) due to glitches that really went through a set of C batteries quick. The Remington seems to be doing better then them so far but still draining alot quicker then I would like. It use D cell batteries and I havent completely drained a set yet but after only a day of use they are reading around 50-60%. I decided to try out some rechargeable batteries for this cam and bought the Energizer D-cell 2500mah batteries and a quick charger. After what was supposedly a full charge according to the charger and placing the batteries in the cam, they read only around 90%? I know cold temperatures can have a drastic affect on battery life and after reading some about rechargeable batteries I see that 2500mah is a pretty low rating as far as these batteries go so I was considering getting some Card Tenergy NiMH D Size 10000mAh high capacity Rechargeable Batteries which should greatly increase the time of use according to their rating. I wanted to see what everybody here thought about trying these and what other options yall have been using for longer battery life. I have seen some of you use 6v batteries but this cam doesnt come with a setup connection for this. What ways are yall using them and how well/long do they work? Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 12-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

bought a moultrie, they do not eat batteries.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest buying better cameras.
I change the batteries in my Scoutguard once a yr and my Cudde Captures 2x a yr. They are out about 9months out of the yr.
I use Duracell's.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Spike

I know these are cheap cameras and that the more expensive ones that are built better will do better but, this is all i can afford camera wise right now. I'm just trying to make this work as best as I can and my question was regarding extending battery life and the ways you do it such as 6v batteries or maybe rechargeable etc... maybe I should have been more clear on that. I wasnt asking, "hey will my cheap camera work as well as your nicer one?!" or "why is my cheap camera eating batteries?!" not at all. I'm just looking for ways to improve the setup I have. If anybody has any help that they can provide me in this particular area it will be much appreciated.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Spike

How many pictures does you camera take during triggers?
Old 12-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by chammons
How many pictures does you camera take during triggers?
It takes 1 pic per trigger. It also has the option of video with I think, 15-20 second videos per trigger. I haven't tested the video outside yet but, it seems to run smoothly. Right now I have it set to a 30 second delay between pics.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Trail Cam BAttery

I have a Bushnell standard white flash that sucked batteries like cool water on a hot day. I did a mod where I wired in a 6v 12amp external and also able to use the internal batteries at the same time. Battery life went from 2 weeks to 3-4 months.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sixgunluvr
I have a Bushnell standard white flash that sucked batteries like cool water on a hot day. I did a mod where I wired in a 6v 12amp external and also able to use the internal batteries at the same time. Battery life went from 2 weeks to 3-4 months.
Could you pm me with the info on how you did this if you don't want to post it or just put it in a reply if you wouldn't mind. Dont know if it matters but the batteries in this camera are all lined up parallel to each other(4 accross) and there is no external jack for an alternative power source. So I would have to ,make some sort of connection with the external source as it sounds you have. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does your Ghost have a little DC power jack on it?
Most cameras have them these days and that's for use with an external battery.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by pnut
Does your Ghost have a little DC power jack on it?
Most cameras have them these days and that's for use with an external battery.
To be honest, I'm not real sure if it does or not. I know it has the 1.1usb port but I'll have to check to see if it has the DC power jack. Is there any particular area that they are usually placed on these? If it doesn't have one, is there some way I can still connect an outside power source such as a 6v? Thanks for you help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.