Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Hes Alive! and has 4 drop tines.... =D >

Hes Alive! and has 4 drop tines.... =D

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Hes Alive! and has 4 drop tines.... =D

Old 11-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hes Alive! and has 4 drop tines.... =D

Some of you might know, some of you might not, but about three weeks ago I shot a buck which we could never find. I noticed it had a droptine on it. I saw him for a split second hitting his rack against the branches and then I did a doe bleat and he came right to me. But he was behind a bunch of thick bushes and trees and I didn't get a good look at him until he was broadside at 25 yards. I thought he was just a big 8 pointer with a small 2 inch droptine on him. But it turns out he had 3 other droptines that I didn't see. Well anyway, I shot at him and I flinched a little and it turned out to be a shoulder shot. Two weeks ago I bought a new PSE bowmadness bow at 60 lbs and with the higher poundage and it seemed like the arrow broke through his shoulder a little bit because the arrow seemed like it went in pretty far for being a shoulder shot. I got down and I had a great blood trail for about 200 yards then it started getting into smaller drops. Then about 500 yards I found my arrow broke off at the end. The muzzy and about two inches of the arrow shaft is still in him and it clotted up the hole. It was a pretty big hole...

You can see his shoulder all swolen up.

Here you can get a better look at the droptines. Those last two might be close to count as a point... but still.... IT HAS 4 DROPTINES!!!

Im thinking we have some strange genetics going on around my area...
We have a friend that butchers deer for people and two years ago this guy brought in a big 190-200" buck that had like 2 main beams on his left side and a crap load of junk on both of them. He had like 3 drop tines and one went goes pretty much straight through his eye. Well maybe in front of it but the deer was blind in that eye. But anyway, that buck was shot about a mile or two from where we hunt and we have been seeing quite a few deer that have funky looking racks. Last year my dad shot that droptine buck that I got on trail camera and then this year we got this guy. Last year my grandpa shot a buck that had a good right side but his left side was smaller and at an angle and it had split brows.
You guys think we have some weird genetics going on?

You all might be wondering if im going to shoot this buck this season.. well I can't for bow. I filled my tag on a nice 8 pointer a week after I shoulder hit this guy. BUT, shotgun season is coming around the corner and I can use my youth tag for one gun season. Then I can also buy a normal shotgun buck tag so ill be able to get two more bucks.
Hopefully he sticks around...

Then heres some more pictures of some bucks.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

Good looking deer young man. I am glad to see the deer survive the shoot. I did the same thing this year with my bow. I felt like it was a good shot, the blood trail started out good for 40 yards and them it just stoped. I hate to wound deer and not find them. I hope you get another shot!
Old 11-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

better get him this year, from the stuff i saw he wont be as nice or as healthy as now, meanin a smaller rack.. so hang him up this year!!!
Old 11-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good to see he is still alive Andrew! It would be interesting to see what kind of head gear he would sport next year but he would be a great one to get this year as well. good luck!
Old 11-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Good deer man! Hope ya get him.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hunt4Life23
Good to see he is still alive Andrew! It would be interesting to see what kind of head gear he would sport next year but he would be a great one to get this year as well. good luck!
Thanks guys, I hope I get a poke at him during shotgun season.

Hunt4life23, It would be nice to see what he looks like next year but I agree with halfbakedi420, he might have a smaller rack next year because of it. He still might have some junk going on though.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could call those drop nuggets lol, cool pics!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey... a drop tine is a drop tine... Not many deer grow any size of drop tines.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Great deer. Good luck on harvesting him! Glad to see he is still alive
Old 11-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Andrew, i havnt been around on HNI for awhile, but

Sorry to hear about your shot, but it looks like he is doing okay for now. As long as it heals before gangrene can set in during the spring. That buck is a HOSS and even if you dont get him this year, he will turn into a STUD.

2nd, its been so long since ive been on that i remember when you were still discouraged about only getting pics of small bucks. Seems like you have bypassed that problem.

Good luck on the season!