Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Trail camera question? >

Trail camera question?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trail camera question?

Old 10-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Spike

Default Trail camera question?

Just starting out with the trailcameras. Looking for some ideas on setups. I have put them on field edges, crossing trails and scrapes. I have not tried bait, does bait make a big differnce and is corn the best or something else.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

deer cane liquid! poor it on the ground and watch deer eat everything it touches, hell they even doug a huge hole to get mine. IDK what it is but I think its laced with a little bit of the cocaheenah!
Old 10-31-2009, 01:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

NBSGUY,

Welcome to the forums, nice to have you here. I have been using a product called Lucky Buck for many years. I have yet to see any deer pass it by. It comes in a white bucket and looks like a fine red sand. I don't know whats in it but the deer hammer it. You can google that name to find out where to purchase it. I have also had good results with Trophy Rock. In my honest opinion, I think baiting is the way to go with cameras. It will allow you to get the best views of the deer because they will linger in front of the camera. Whatever you decide, good luck and we will be looking forward to your pics.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 10-31-2009, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my experience bait works a lot better. I have my cams in areas were there's clover, and can get around 50 pics a week. When I put out the apples that my friend brings from his tree in town, I can get over 100 pics in 2 days.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Spike

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try some different types of bait.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

I asked the same question 2 months ago when I started--Jim also reccomended the cane--I used (2) deer cane blocks--the white ones, and a trophy rock--I add apples from my tree when i go out to change cards.

I put the camera under a shade tree and about 8 feet away I took a rake and removed all grass leaves-I even pulled out the remaining grass with my hands. I created basically a big scrape 3' in diameter and tried to lower it 3" or so from the surrounding areas to hold water. I laid the two blocks in the "hole" and placed the trophy rock about 5 feet away-further from the camera.

The cane was the first thing demolished, since then the trophy rock has been outstanding--the apples wait about 4-5 days before they are eaten--or until a hungry buck comes buy then he eats them all.

I am on river ground but my camera is set on double tap-with a 15 second delay. I take roughly 1300-1700 pictures every 14 days--about 95% of the pictures are deer triggers--not to many wind triggers.

Bait is the best way to get good looks at deer--they hang around enough to get multiple pics!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Baiting is not legal here but this time of year a Mock Scrape can even out produce bait, especially if it's Bucks you want photos of. A scrape is the billboard of the whitetail world and bucks just can't seem to resist walking over to any one they see and leaving their own scent. It doesn't even matter what scent you use to spray on the over hanging licking branch and/or on the ground.... human urine will even get 'em to respond.

I just checked one of my trail cams yesterday, that had been over a scrape.... I had more than a dozen different different bucks using the same scrape.... no monsters but a couple have potential ???

Here's another that shows some potential.....