Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

scout guard

Old 09-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default scout guard

Ive been trying to use rechargeable batteries in my scoutguard trail cam, but even after they are fully charged the camera only reads then as one bar of battery life. Anyone having this problem? Also does anyone use the external battery?
Old 09-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never felt the need to use rechargeables in my SG because I only twitch batteries about once a year in it and it's out almost all year long. Good batteries (I have had luck with duracell and energizer) will last a long time in this cam..
Old 09-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

pnut is correct...duracell and energizer will keep your camera going....i have changed my batteries twice in a year with about 400 pics a week....u do the math. dont recharge.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

I use duracell rechargeables in both of mine, i've never had a problem.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

do u guys record videos? they seem to really drain the batteries
Old 11-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Dollar Trifecta:
On your rechargeable battery most of them state the voltage. I have some that state 1.25 volt. If I charge them up and test with a digital meter I will get a reading of 1.37 to 1.39 volt. Assuming your camera uses say for "C" batteries which normally would total 4 times 1.5 volt each (standard batteries) would equal 6 volt. In this case the maximum for the rechargeables would be 4 times 1.39 volt would equal 5.56 volt which is lower than required. Some heavy duty batteries will start out a 1.6 volt each which would total 4 times 1.6 equals 6.4 volt. The higher voltage gives more reserve power which means longer life and more pictures. Another thing that affects battery power is temperature. If you are in a colder climate (especially in later fall months) the batteries do not put out full power as compared to warmer areas. I live in southern Canada and this is the problem I am faced with. As luck would have it, I am using Wildview Cameras with an external 12 volt power supply. There are lots of better, more expensive cameras out there. Which ones have an external power supply I am not sure. Maybe some of the other forum members can help you out there.
I hope this helps. Best of luck.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Ive had my ScoutGuard out since early June Using the 8X energizer lithium batteries. Just checked it yesterday and still reading full battery. Its pry taken close to 1500 pictures and 10 hours of video since i alternate the setting everytime i go out and check it.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

mine goes dead after about two weeks even with brand new duracells
Old 12-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Spike

Standard battery like Duracell or Energizer is the best way to go this batteries are made for long terms use, the rechargeable are NOT made for that they are short term batteries it does not hold charge to long. thats way they are rechargeable.