Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
DIY trail camera security >

DIY trail camera security

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

DIY trail camera security

Old 09-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default DIY trail camera security

SO I just bought a WIldgame Innovations 1.3 Trail Camera and had it out in the woods a few days but got scared that it would get stolen because it is on state land.

I decided to make a little lock system so that I didnt worry about it getting stolen as much. I could leave it out longer and hopefully get more pictures.

Materials:

5 feet of 1/8 uncoated steel cable
2 cable sleeves
1' padlock
pliers
5 minutes of your time

Price of Materials from Hardware Store= $5.23

Make a loop with the cable through one of the holes where the bungees go. Use one of the sleeves and clamp it down so it crimps the sleeve.

Next make another loop but dont go through the hole on the other side of the camera. You want to be able to put the camera around almost any size tree, and be able to take it off.

Next attach the padlock through the loop and the hole in the camera where the bungees go.

Now you have a lock on your camera. If the tree is smaller you use the bungees to secure it to the tree and use the lock even if its too big to make sure the camera doesnt walk away.

Pictures were taken with my phone sorry for the poor quality.

Mirza
Old 09-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Spike

It might deter some, but if they want it, they'll have it in about 10 seconds. I have some of the Wildgame Innovations cameras and those holes where the bungees attach are plastic. A rock or pair of pliers will split that plastic quickly.

I'm not knocking your design...I think it's a great investment. I just wish those cameras had something more substantial to run the cable through. But for a sub $100 camera, I guess you can't expect much.

The main thing is it will probably deter most folks that happen up on it. Some thieves will take it no matter what you have on it.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

Nice work-5 dollar insurance policy-if it deters one person its worth 5 bucks.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rh160kid

Yea thats what im thinkin. If someone wants the camera that bad that there gonna use a rock to break the plastic and steal it they can have it. Or if there gonna go back home to get wire cutters and come back to steal it they can have it.

I hope that if someone comes across it they will see that I havea lock and leave it alone
Old 08-15-2019, 11:35 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by rh160kid
yeah, I think so.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good idea 54. I hope after almost 10 years the camera is still with you and working. I use short lengths of fairly light chain and a lock on the lower end Brownings that I put out.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

you guys can add all the cable /chain .locks you like, but the average idiot with cheap bolt cutters will have your camera and all add' on's real fast
I have had so many cam's stolen over the yrs to know this for a fact, if they want it, they will come back and take it, I have even caught trespassers on private land carrying bolt cutters on them when they were caught!
its just sad to me as most of them I catch are hunters stealing from other hunters!
same goes for them stealing tree stands too!

locks and chains only keep honest people honest!
the BEST locks for trail cams I have ever used or seen are the metal bear boxes that also cover the LOCKS making it extremely hard , if not impossible ,
to get a set of bolt cutters on the LOCK< other wise, metal boxes with lock espoused, again, just get more of your money stolen when they take it
and even the boxes I mentioned are not 100%
I have had crooks use a saw and cut down tree to take camera's!
I am now a guy that buys and uses cheaper cam's so when one grows legs it doesn';t sting as much as having higher end one's taken or damaged
as did I mention, that some folks when they cannot steal right NOW< will just smash the cam locked to the tree??
YEAH that happens too
even had a few get shot on me!
and I have and do run cams on several different counties in PA and Ohio, so its NOT just one location and some regulars that are my problem, its just cams get stoles like everything else today!, people lack respect of others things more and more so anymore!
I have said this too for yrs and yrs
Trail cam makers should offer GPS tracking to there cam's
I am sure a LOT of folks would pay good money to track down a stolen cam to the person that took its home or??
have have a little CHAT with them in person if not with police along! I had many cams over $500.00 bucks with is where I think level of crime changes on price!
Old 08-19-2019, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've gotten cameras stolen. It really sucks. When we were young we would never even think about taking someone else's property. Different generation, different society. Its really a shame.
My friend had a hang on stand and ladder sticks stolen in the same area about 3 years ago. I would just love to catch them in the act one time.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I've gotten cameras stolen. It really sucks. When we were young we would never even think about taking someone else's property. Different generation, different society. Its really a shame.
My friend had a hang on stand and ladder sticks stolen in the same area about 3 years ago. I would just love to catch them in the act one time.
like I said, if camera makers offered GPS tracking services I bet they'd make a lot of $$, in folks willing to pay to find the people that stole off them
I mean there is a darn GPS tracker in ever phone today so there small and have to be rather cheap ?
not sure how hard it would be to add them to cashmere's, and then if needed, call in a SIm card # or other id and have them track it for a service fee!
I gather others would BUY There camera's over those that did't have them and offer the option to FIND them

been saying this for 20 yrs now too LOL

I know I'd love to pay a visit to a few folks that took mine!