Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Infrared Question >

Infrared Question

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Infrared Question

Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Infrared Question

Hey all, I just posted in a different category, not knowing about this one. I have a Stealth STC-1430IR camera. It takes nice day time pix and decent black and whites at night. It whites out at the same times every day - between 7:30 and 8pm and then again between 5:30 and 6am. It is facing north, but I am wondering if it could be the sun rising and setting. My main question is: What is the difference when the IR is set on AUTO as opposed to OFF?? I am new to these cameras and am quite happy with this one, but i don't know all there is to know. Here is a picture from it. I had this buck up wondering what he would score. The general consesus is between 115 and 120. I will definitely try to take him with my Mathews DXT. Hopefully I practiced enough!!
Attached Thumbnails Infrared Question-dsc_0503.jpg   Infrared Question-dsc_0508.jpg  
Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know anything about the stealth cams sorry. I do think that 115 looks to be about right for a measurement. I would also take the buck.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is probably struggling to know if it is daylight or dark, since the times that you mentioned when it did this is pretty close to sunrise and sunset. I think most IR cameras have that same problem. I know my Moultries did when I first got them. It has gotten better since their firmware update but they occasionally still have that problem.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 08-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
It is probably struggling to know if it is daylight or dark, since the times that you mentioned when it did this is pretty close to sunrise and sunset. I think most IR cameras have that same problem. I know my Moultries did when I first got them. It has gotten better since their firmware update but they occasionally still have that problem.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
That would be my guess too. The camera thinks it is dark and takes a IR pic rather than a daytime pic. Happens on both of mine(moultrie and DLC) sometimes, but has never really been a problem.

Last edited by hossdaniels; 08-12-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks everyone. What about the IR? Should I have it on AUTO or should I try turning it to OFF?
As far as taking the buck, I have only shot a doe and a small buck since starting with my bow 3 years ago. This would be an absolute giant - my husband has much more - does and small bucks - but we have never even seen anything like this in the woods. We did just move up from the Bronx, and had to knock on doors for permission in the past, so never had great spots, but this is in the field next to our condominium complex, believe it or not!!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

If you turn it off,(not a option on any of mine?) I dont think there would be any picture after dark. Only well lit daytime pics.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

I just went out to change it to IR as it is right in our back yard practically. i really hope i get something good during the night as I got 10 mosquito bites for my efforts and I was out there for a total of about 45 seconds!! That's what you get for going out after a rain storm. UGH!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by johnandmare
I just went out to change it to IR as it is right in our back yard practically. i really hope i get something good during the night as I got 10 mosquito bites for my efforts and I was out there for a total of about 45 seconds!! That's what you get for going out after a rain storm. UGH!
Thats what you get for being addicted!!!!!! like the rest of us!
Old 08-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Yes I am addicted, for sure. But imagine my dismay when I went and checked the card, and all I had was black!!! I got eaten alive for NO reason. I just have to laugh at myself and hope nothing was going on last night. I did find out that without the IR on, there are NO pictures at night, so you were right!
Old 08-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Spike

i have the same problem with my stealth cam too.