Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

View cam pics???

Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default View cam pics???

I'm new to this. Still trying to pick a cam. My question is how do you view the pics? What are the options. Can you walk up to the camera, view the pics, maybe erase them, check the batteries and walk away? Or do you have to pull a card, replace it with an extra, and then bring it home to view on a PC? Or do you have to buy a viewer?

I'm confused!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Spike

i am going to take a fresh set of batteries and swap out mem. cards. I think that is best way to do it then go home and enjoy the pics!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Spike

some cams have built in viewers. some you need to take the sd card out or take the cam back with you and connect them to the computer. i am able to put the sd card in my phone and view them that way. when you put in another card you should have an option to erase all pic's or format card. i allways do this to make sure i have enough room till next time. the one cam i have has a lcd screen that tells the % of battery left and total pics.
hope this helps
Old 08-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

I dont have any cams with a built in viewer, but i have looked at pics with 1 that had a viewer and i didnt care for it because depending on how far away the animal is in the pic you sometimes cant distinguish on # of tines and length. When i check my cams i just swap out cards and put in new batteries if needed, and then its a race home to look at em on my computer. Why dont you tell us which cams you're interested in, what you're gonna be using for, (over a bait site or feeder or watching a trail) and how much you want to spend. That will give us a better idea of which cam you may want to get.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 SD. cards for every cam so I just replace the card in each cam with a new one. I also carry along my digital camera in case I cant wait to get back to the house to check my pics. Pike
Old 08-12-2009, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by J Pike
I have 2 SD. cards for every cam so I just replace the card in each cam with a new one. I also carry along my digital camera in case I cant wait to get back to the house to check my pics. Pike
Same for me, half the fun is waiting to see what ya got, kinda like the ice cream man ringing the bell.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by leadoperator
I dont have any cams with a built in viewer, but i have looked at pics with 1 that had a viewer and i didnt care for it because depending on how far away the animal is in the pic you sometimes cant distinguish on # of tines and length. When i check my cams i just swap out cards and put in new batteries if needed, and then its a race home to look at em on my computer. Why dont you tell us which cams you're interested in, what you're gonna be using for, (over a bait site or feeder or watching a trail) and how much you want to spend. That will give us a better idea of which cam you may want to get.

leadoperator,
I will be placing one cam in an apple orchard. The other on a trail and move them from time to time. Was thinking about the Moultree i40 and maybe a less expensive d40.

Thanks guys for the help!! Sounds as if 2 cards is the way to go.

Can any sd card work?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Spike

buy a digital concept card reader /writer that plugs into your computer your memory card fits in sd card slot.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you should consider trigger speed. I dont have any Moultries but theres a few people on here that do. You should post another thread asking about the cams that your interested in. I have however heard they do have great battery life.