Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 homemade security box >

homemade security box

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

homemade security box

Old 05-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default homemade security box

I mentioned earlier in the spring that I would take some pics of the security box that I made out of a 50 cal. ammo can that I bought at atwoods for $3. I made it pretty fast so it isn't perfect by any means and I will make some mods to it but it has worked well. 30 cal would be an excellent fit but I didn't happen to have one available. The bolts holding it it are 8" lag bolts and the piece of steel that I have the lock on and the bolts running through is stainless steel. Like I said, it has worked well and even though I think someone could still "liberate" my camera, I believe that they would really have to try to get it and it would take a little time. If anybody has any suggestions on improving it I would welcome suggestions.
[align=center]

[/align]
Old 05-18-2009, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: homemade security box

muzzlenut,

It looks pretty functional. I too have thought about trying to make my own security box but have no way to weld. One thing I see in your pics that I would be cautious about is using foam to shim up the camera. It will get wet and it might cause the camera, over time,to draw moisture since it, the foam, will never dry out inside the box. But I think using that old ammo box is a great idea. They are nearly indestructable.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 05-18-2009, 03:55 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input pastorjim,

Any suggestions on what to use in lieu of the foam. I did think about the foam drawing and holding moisture but didn't think it would be a huge problem. Where I am we get about 14" of rain/year so it doesn't have a lot of chance to get wet but I have a couple extra pieces of foam to replace the one in the box that I take out with me when I check the cam if it has rained since the last time I checked it. If I can find a 30 cal box, it will be much more low profile to the tree and I would be able to shim it with a small piece of wood.

The one mod I for sure need to make, besides camo painting it, is to make the bottom bolt hole slotted in an arc so that I can level the cameral a lot easier. It is kind of hard to get one bolt exactly on top of another when you are screwing them into a tree.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

muzzlenut,

Go to ebay and put in 30cal ammo box and a bunch of them will come up, prices look real cheap too. I didn't know how to post the link here or I would have. Hope this helps.

Blessings.....Pastorjim