Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Came across some old pics..Got me thinking >

Came across some old pics..Got me thinking

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Came across some old pics..Got me thinking

Old 05-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Came across some old pics..Got me thinking

First I thought I'd share a few things I've learned throughtrial by error with trail cams.. Then I thought I'd share some amusing pics that show some of my mistakes as a trail cam newbie. When I used to put corn out pretty often in front of cams I'd get alot of pics like these. Learned a few things from putting corn out as "camera bait" in the summer. Bad idea...Winter ice storms on the other hand, yea I willdefinitely give them corn.

Why I will steer away from corn in summer:

-last summer, my batterywould be gone in 1/4 of the time compared to just finding a good spot, or mineral site. Sure tons of pics..Many garbage pics.

-above problem is mainly due to coons, crows, andsquirrels.. Especially coons!.

-feeding deer corn in the summer can screw up their regular feeding/travel patterns..Not a good idea for a bowhunter waiting on October 1st to get here.

-I've got much better pics since I changed tactics..just finding good camera locations, plus the mineral site.

-My pictures of bucks (in terms of #'s) is ALREADY more than all of last spring and summer. Throwing out corn with intentions of getting buck pics, is not very effective. While this may work well in some areas, not in mine.

Any one else ever get "species-standoff" pics? This doe was pissed I wish I could find the pics of does raising up and trying to stomp the coon, if I can find it I'll post it. Pretty funny.

The culprits..They are a true raccoon gang, very ruthless

This dumbguy thought this was an apple tree (I threw a few apples at the base of it) so he kept trying to climb it. Very confused.

All that said, Im not against putting corn out in the winter, after all hunting seasons have ended. I just personally wont do it in the summer because I think it hurts more than it helps. SureI was getting a ton of pics, but what was I learning about the deer behavior, travel patterns, etc.? nothing.I'd rather have LESS pictures of BETTER quality (more deer, # of bucks,lots of turkey pics), much longer battery life, etc..

However,in hopes of seeing when bucks are dropping antlers,this is why I put corn out in the winter:

Old 05-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Came across some old pics..Got me thinking

This is the best I've gotten
Old 05-15-2009, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the summer corn advice.

This doe/coon picture is my first so I thought I would share,
Old 05-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Good advice bowmanaj. I dont think i have any pics like that, but i'll check.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Good advice bowmanaj. I dont think i have any pics like that, but i'll check.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:53 AM
Fork Horn

I will try to find it but I have got a turkey chasing a doe around, and a fox geting chased off by a group of deer.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree! When started using cameras about 10 years ago. The first year a put out a corn feeder. I soon learned that that method was not what I was looking for an changed totally.

I stopped withthe feeder an started using mineralssites instead. Now, I just put them on ponds an next to river crossings during the summer. I move them around as the weeks go by trying to locate different bucks coming from different directions. Then towards the end of the summer its time to narrow down my choices.