Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 I finally got some bone growing! >

I finally got some bone growing!

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

I finally got some bone growing!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I finally got some bone growing!

Well not long after I posted the "Overnight pictures of deer,coons, etc..." thread I left for the cabin again to go turkey hunting. I checked the cameras and already had 80 pictures. 2 differant bucks and one doe was all I got, but it was all within 2-3 hours after I left to come home.

For some reason her face makes her look extremely happy.

This is my favorite picture of the week. The deer got a little close and made the picture a bit deformed.

Something spooked him off. He was probably just a little bit camera shy. But he managed to come back.

Enjoy.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I finally got some bone growing!

You've got a little honey hole there, looks like its time to refresh the mineral site eh? What do you normally use? Whatever it is they sure do like it!
Old 05-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nah it doesn't need to be refreshed. It hasn't been refreshed for the past 5 years. My grandpa use to put a salt block out their for the cattle and the rain always reached it and it melted into the ground so he stopped doing it. The cows never really found the salt in the ground but once the deer found it they went nuts over it. I watched over the years as the deer just tear the heck out of it and I put a camera up just to see what comes in. I've found all sorts of animals that go there. Deer, a badger, groundhods, coons, squirrels, birds, and a muskrat.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

5 years! Wow! You know,a mineral block from Tractor supply is only 6 bucks.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pope,

I enjoyed your pics as always but what was the actual date they were taken? Just curious because of the pic of thebuck Siman08 just posted I wanted to kind of compare antler growth for the dates.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 05-11-2009, 04:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pope94/IA

Nah it doesn't need to be refreshed. It hasn't been refreshed for the past 5 years. My grandpa use to put a salt block out their for the cattle and the rain always reached it and it melted into the ground so he stopped doing it. The cows never really found the salt in the ground but once the deer found it they went nuts over it. I watched over the years as the deer just tear the heck out of it and I put a camera up just to see what comes in. I've found all sorts of animals that go there. Deer, a badger, groundhods, coons, squirrels, birds, and a muskrat.
I would still freshen it up. Its amazing how many more deer will find it once you add something to it. Especially if you add some scented products.

Thats still an awesome looking mineral lick! One of the coolest i have seen.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I did wouldn't that be considered baiting the deer? Which is illegal in iowa. Or is it only baiting deer if you have a blind or stand near by?

Jim, the photos were all taken Sunday. I set the camera out at like noon and when I went out turkey hunting at 4:30 I checked the cameras.I had 80 pictures over 4 1/2 hours.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pope94/IA

If I did wouldn't that be considered baiting the deer? Which is illegal in iowa. Or is it only baiting deer if you have a blind or stand near by?

Jim, the photos were all taken Sunday. I set the camera out at like noon and when I went out turkey hunting at 4:30 I checked the cameras.I had 80 pictures over 4 1/2 hours.
I would check the regulations.I dont know Iowa.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Pope94, Nice pics!.....It looks awfully dry out there? I sure hope ain't no drought shaping up out there!!

Old 05-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: haystack

Pope94, Nice pics!.....It looks awfully dry out there? I sure hope ain't no drought shaping up out there!!
Droughts in iowa? Never... we get rain about every other day. Im sure you guys heard about the flood of 2008 in Cedar Rapids. Well we also got it bad over by us. We're only 30-40 miles from cedar rapids and we have a bunch of rivers and creek near us.

We had our conference track meet friday and half way through it started pouring down rain for like 30 minutes. We sat in the buses thewhole time and continued afterwards. Then saturday it rained in the morning which we had another track meet during then.