Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Trail cameras - what's good/what's not good >

Trail cameras - what's good/what's not good

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trail cameras - what's good/what's not good

Old 04-04-2009, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Trail cameras - what's good/what's not good

I'm getting a trail camera, first time user, and there's are alot alot there. My price range is $100-$250 at most. I would have it set up probably in the woods by trails and on field edges, old apple orchards, etc.... I was looking at Stealth Cam, Cuddeback, Scoutguard, and Moultrie. Someone offered me a brand new Moultrie Expert for $180...but I've heard alot of things about Cuddebacks going in for repairs, and it is screwed to a tree and I want to be able to somehow lock it to a tree so it doesn't get stolen.

Please let me know your opinions, what you use, what to avoid, and if you have any photos, post those as well! Thanks!
Old 04-04-2009, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Trail cameras - what's good/what's not good

A lot of pretty descent cameras can be purchased in that price range. Personally, I would by 2 cameras for around $125 each. As I have posted on here, I like my Stealth I540IR for the price and I got mine for $109 from Cabelas on sale. I think they are about $140 reg. price. Go back through the posts and see which cameras you think take good pics.

As for security, one of the regular members here, pastorjim, has posted a web site before that sales some pretty solid looking lock boxes to put your camera in.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have 1 scoutguard and 1 more on the way as we speak, i cant say enough good things about them!all the specs are dead on,true 5mp pics, around or less then a second trigger, about the size of a pop can so its hard to see and easy to hide, i could go on haha here is a review http://www.chasingame.com/index.php?id=29#sg550. it would run you about 200ish bucks depending what safety features you need and color, but its worth every penny!!!you could set this thing up anywhere and it would get you quality pics! if you end up liking a scoutguard contact bee busy outdoors or go to bbotrailcams.com hope i helped!!

Old 04-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

turkeygirl2,

For that amount of money, I would go with either a Moultrie M-40, Moultrie I-40, or a Scoutgaurd. I don't think you will be disapointed with any of those choices. As for a security box, depending on the amount you want to spend, check out www.swivelsafe.com These dudes are heavy and pretty much theft-proof, short of cutting down the tree it's in. They are pricey, about $100.00, but they are worth it. You can also find security boxes at www.camlockbox.com they are cheaper in price but I don't have any experience with them. They do look well made though. Whatever you decide, the addicts here will be looking forward to your pics.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 04-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

All good suggestions so far, allthough i dont own any Moultries if PastorJim08says they work id buy 1. Im by no means a fanboy of any particular brand i'll buy whatever 1 works for my application and budget as long as i buy from a dealer with a good reputation and 1 who will back their cams with good customer service. It seems no matter what brand you buy you always hear some negative things. My 2 Cuddeback Captures (flash version) and 2 scoutguards work great, the scoutguards have longer battery life and are much smaller if you're worried about theft. Check the some of the threads, there are alot of pics posted for all of the cams that everyone listed. Whatever cam you buy be sure you get to know it and do some testing before you put it out in the field so you know how high and what distance to set it up from the trail or feeder or where ever you're gonna use it. And don't forget to post some pics!
Old 04-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeygirl I use to buy $400.00 + cams until a couple of them got stolen. (and they will get stolen no matter how you lock them at some point) so now I just use cheap cams and a few months ago I bought four Wildview Extreme 4 Cams at Gander MTN. on clearence for $30.00 each after the rebate. I havent put them out yet but tried them in my yard using my dog Yukon as my test subject to see what kind of pics they take and to make sure they all work properly, which they did. The trigger speed is fast and they seem to take very good pics for cheaper camera's. I doubt Gander MTN. still has any left but you probably could still find them in the Sportsmansguide etc.
Here is a day time pic using my dog Yukon as my test subject, he was standing at 30 ft. indicated by the can in front of his paw. The tree behind him is 35 ft.
The 2nd pic. he is standing about 22ft. (he wouldnt cooperate
as much during the night photo session) the 1st can on the ground is 15 ft and you can also see the 30 ft. can in this pic aswell and if you look real close you can see me in the pic at 40 + ft. Pike

Old 04-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

For $250 or less you could build your own.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Well I won't be building my own...not that technologically gifted,lol.

Any other input?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

ttt...
Old 04-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm partial to Moultries. Seeing how you're a beginner and have a pretty good money variance, my advice is try a D-40. They are between $80-$100. Great cameras. Plus if you're worried about them getting stolen, you'd have to add the price in for a lock. From my D-40. Times aren't set right.

Quick Reply: Trail cameras - what's good/what's not good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.