Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 First trail camera >

First trail camera

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

First trail camera

Old 03-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Spike

Default First trail camera

Hello everybody, I am proud to say that I finally purchased my first trail camera yesterday. I have been sitting on the fence for several months now reading reviews and trying to determine which camera is right for me. Unfortunately I am not sure that I found the camera that I was looking for, but I found too good of a deal to pass up. I went to my local Bass Pro Shop and discovered the Moultrie Gamespy D40 on sale for $79.99. I have read enough good things about the camera that I felt I had to give it a shot. I am very excited to finally be in the game and was wondering if anybody else has good or bad stories to go along with this model? Also does anybody have any advice on camera placement to get optimum trigger speed and quality pics? Thank you all for your time and tips.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First trail camera

Okie,

Welcome to the forums. You will find that this is a very addicting hobby. For the money, you got a great trailcam. I have not read to much negative on this camera at all. I look forward to seeing your pics.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 03-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say with the trigger speed that camera has put it facing up or down the trail or on a food plot. They do have some decent photos.

This is a very addicting hobby, you will enjoy it more than what you think an one camera will not be enough.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to trail cam world! I have one of those cams and have no complaints. And you got yours $20 cheaper than when I got mine.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Spike

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I can see that this is a mega addictive hobby and I am chomping at the bit to get my feet wet. Unfortunately my plans have been delayed a tiny bit. When I opened up my new toy, there were no cords or anything that was supposed to be in there, only the camera. So its back to Bass Pro today to exchange it for a new one!!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats just a temporary set back. Don't let that discourage ya.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will get it lined out before long.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

okie, i have 3 of these cams. they didn't come with any cords. you can get a usb cord to hook it to your computer but your best bet is to buy a memory card [or 2] and a memory card reader that plugs into a usb port on your computer.
that way you dont have to bring your camera back to the house everytime to download the pics. just change out the memory card[thats why you need two
memory cards].the internal memory isn't very large on these cams so i don't use it at all,just the memory cards.
i have 3 cams and 6 memory cards so they are always taking pics.
the trigger speed is not the greatest so set it up facing up/down a trail or over bait[if legal]
the video on these cams are ok BUT if you have it set on video mode it will not video at night and any pics it takes while on video mode are very very small
i don't use the video mode hardly ever because of the small pics.

all cameras have problems at some point. the flash hes stopped working on two of my cams.one is 7 months old and the other is 2 yrs old ,but they take alot of pics in all types of weather.i sometimes get 200 pics a night when i have the cam over bait[corn]. that flash gets used alot.

as you can tell i have been bitten by the bug and i am hooked
you got a good camera and a good deal on it !!!