Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Battery question? >

Battery question?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Battery question?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Battery question?

I have a moultrie d40 and i had it out for two weeks and the battery power was down to 50% i didnt change them since i did not have any. i went and checked it sunday(two weeks later) and it had 40% power and it had only taken two pictures. my question is will it completely shut down once it gets to a certain amount of power. I had to manually turn it back on to see how many pictures it took.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:50 PM

Default RE: Battery question?

I live in Missouri and I believe the COLD affects the battery a LOT. When its cold and I can physically see deer near my cam I only get a couple of pics if any at all when its below 30 degrees. If its above 40 degrees and I see Deer near my cam I get a photo every 30 seconds. The cold will shut my cam off too. I wish my cam had an A/C outlet that way I could plug it in and not bother with the batteries.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:04 PM

Cold weather will affect the battery life....get a cuddeback
Old 01-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is common with non rechargeable batteries. The internal ingredentsare slowed by temperatures when it gets cold. When they warm up such as in the afternoon they recoverthe strength. I use NIMH batteries they are made up different an last a lot longer in the cold weather.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: rage2blade

you must havegot some ofthe good cuddes. only thing good about mine is the pic quality and trigger time. out of all three of mine im lucky to get a month apiece out of them and a month and a half in the summer.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the d40 has a sleep mode to it. Which if it doesn't have any activity it shuts itself down until there is something constant to trigger it back on. Then it takes more power to turn on than just staying on. I've had hundreds of pictures with 50% life left and then I've had 20 pics with 50% left. Same temps, just different results. That camera boggles my mind sometimes.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input i think it was the cold weather that we had. we had a span of 3-4 days where the lows were in the single digits. it must have not gotten any action and just gave up.[:@]

ORIGINAL: Mottz

I think the d40 has a sleep mode to it. Which if it doesn't have any activity it shuts itself down until there is something constant to trigger it back on. Then it takes more power to turn on than just staying on. I've had hundreds of pictures with 50% life left and then I've had 20 pics with 50% left. Same temps, just different results. That camera boggles my mind sometimes.
it does have a sleep mode, i have tested it and it will take a picture at the first movement it detects while sleeping. but i did this when it was around 70 degrees. it must be cold blooded.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeater

ORIGINAL: rage2blade

you must havegot some ofthe good cuddes. only thing good about mine is the pic quality and trigger time. out of all three of mine im lucky to get a month apiece out of them and a month and a half in the summer.
What camera?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Spike

all three excites