Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Leaf River IR5 opinions >

Leaf River IR5 opinions

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Leaf River IR5 opinions

Old 01-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Leaf River IR5 opinions

Hey guys. Last post I was looking for general opinions. Thought we decided on the Reconyx RM45 BUT papa doesnt want to pony up that kind of coin and risk getting it stolen or vandilized. Which Im starting to agree with.

I've went back to chasingame and tailcampro for more ideas.

I think, by the reviews, LeAf River IR5 is the camera we'll settle on. The only downfall to this cam is a relativly weak flash. But there is an auxillatlry. Flash unit available if needed.

Has anyone used LR products. What's your thoughts?

Thanks

Cartman308
Old 01-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leaf River IR5 opinions

I used LR products for about 6 years. They have some good cameras. I do not think you can go wrong with the IR-5 camera. I just recently switched to Reconyx cameras.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the response AR. The Leaf Rivers seem to be the best of the "second tier" trail cams. I think well give them a shot and step up to Reconyx in a year or so of we get really onto it. Only thing that I wish the IR5 had better was trigger and recovery time. The flash range will be fine for my use but my dad may want to invest in the auxiliary flash.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

I have the IR7 with the secondary IR flash and couldn't happier. The IR adapter is still on its first set of D Durells from August 08. Ive only changed the main batteries once and just checked it the other day and they need changing. With its bracket, you have the ability to use 3, 3/8inch pythons locks. Trigger is fast enough, but a little complicated to program, so I need to bring my little manual with me.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:06 AM

I have 2 Leaf River IR 5.0s and have been happy with them. Battery life, trigger speed, and picture quality is great. Love the wayI an secure the sturdy case. IR flash range could be better and I am going to try to extended flash module.

The best thing about this camera is video with SOUND! I have the most amazing videos of bucks chasing does while grunting and I even recorded a buck fight. The sound is unreal and should be a standard on trail cameras.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:21 AM

I would get the camera that suits your needs and invest in a python cable lock and/or security enclosure if you are worried about vandalism. No matter how secure your camera is someone with a basic hand saw can cut down the tree and steal it or smash it with a log so the best bet is hide it where nobody will see it. I doubt other legal hunters or hikers will bother it if it's locked up, I worry about trespassers who get spooked. Chasingame.com has done mostly unbiased evaluations on many cameras, same with trailcam.com I would read the reviews and decide and get the one you want.

I went with the Reconyx RM45 and I really like it, it doesn't do color which really is the only drawback I can find with it but I felt the quality, trigger time, battery life, and reliability were worth the tradeoff vs. the other brands of similar price range. I use my camera to pattern deer for hunting and also as a hobby, I don't ever print out large pictures so a high MP rating wasn't important to me. I also don't have any desire to use video which is good because the RM45 doesn't have that feature.