Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 scoutguard sg 550 >

scoutguard sg 550

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

scoutguard sg 550

Old 12-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default scoutguard sg 550

I just got the scout guard for xmas and I have a couple questions. When i plug the remote in and power the unit on the remote turns blue and nothing else happens. When i flick the switch from off to on I see somethings come up on the remote then they quickly dissapear and leave me with the blank blue screen. Also the lens seems to have a red lens cover that is clearly not attached inside the unit and shifts around when the camera is moved...also assuming this is not normal......

If anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: scoutguard sg 550

Hey Trifecta,
How many beeps do you hear when you turn on the cam? Make sure you put the sd card in first (unlocked), then the remote then turn it on. If you get 2 beeps, the card is locked or bad and the cam is not communicating with it. If you get 3 beeps, all is well. If you tried this and changed cards and you still get a blue screen, try this: With the card in and remote plugged in, turn on unit. While it is on, open the battery door until the blue light goes away. Count to 10 and close the battery door.
As for the red lens, it floats around until you power up the unit, then it goes into place. Its motorized........

Let us know how that works out for you...........

Joe
BBO
Old 12-26-2008, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

beeps? as in a audible noise?
Old 12-26-2008, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

ok figured it out, card was locked.

Another couple questions... I see that on the remote you have still mode and camera mode...is there no way to have both set at same time? So a picture will be taken and the movie will record? Or my 3 pictures in a row will be taken and then the video after?

how many 60 sec videos will a 1 gb sd card hold?

If I were to set up on a trail what should be my delay between pics? I set it at 30 secs

was also wondering if there was anyway to shut off the red led lights when its recording at night. for security purposes.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

1. Unfortunately, it will not do both. One or the other.
2. If you are going to do videos, I would recommend the max which is 2GB. 1GB will do just under 1000 MB. Take a couple of test videos at 60 sec, look at the card on your computer and see how many MB average you are getting per session. It varies slightly.
3. 30 seconds should be fine. Depending on traffic, you would adjust that to your specs. I dont recommend having the intervals too close together. I have done that before and traffic was high and the card filled up way before I was able to go back to retrieve it.
4. When you say red lights. You mean the IR leds? If so, they need to work to get the night pics. It would be a soft glow visible at eye level looking straight at it. Once you angle a bit, you dont see it. The center flashing red light is when it is in that 10 second set after you turn on or remove the remote for it to arm or while you are programming it. Not while it is armed in the field.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions

Joe
Old 12-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

I covered the IR lights and it still records and looks pretty nice. Just as long as the lens and sensor are uncovered it seems to work.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

I assume you mean at night. Technically it should work as long as there is some kind of lighting in the area. Sensor will still pick up objects. I would like to see some pics when you get some.........