Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Seal??

Old 12-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Seal??

is there any reason to seal the cracks in the bottom of the scoutguard?? its snowing here and i plan to put my camera out and someone has told me to use bee wax to seal it once i close the bottom. if i dont would the snow/rain get in??? and if i do have to what are some good things i could use to seal it with??
Old 12-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Seal??

I would think the rain and snow would have to come in from the top. Would'nt worry about the bottom.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Spike

I was reading up on the SG on the ChasingGame site.( I think that's the right name)
According to them the company claims the SG is not waterproof. But even after letting a hose run on theirs', they had no water leakage.
I don't have a SG yet, but I would think the beeswax could cause more problems that it might help should some of it stick to the remote plugins and such.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mottz

I would think the rain and snow would have to come in from the top. Would'nt worry about the bottom.
well here in MO snow and rain come up from the ground but i mean like if rain gets on the camera and runs down will it get in....
Old 12-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was being a little sarcastic myself there kw! I would think these cameras nowadays could take the weather abuse. I opened one of mine up and had water standing in it and it still works. Only problems I've heard of people having is like rodents or something getting in them and chewing up on some wires.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

To wax the groves is an added measure of security for some. Some folks have used it to prevent condensation from building up around that bottom door. In all honesty, its not necessary. I have not had to do that and its still dry after 6 months of running it out in the field for testing. Not one SG550 to my knowledge has ever been returned for water damage. As to the weather proof scenario, bottom line they will handle torrential rains, tropical storms (mine went thru one). Its just not meant to be submerged.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

if it is bothering you, why could you just use an silicone sealer.

bees wax is kinda pricey (in my mind) for sealing work.