Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 newby w/ trail cam >

newby w/ trail cam

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

newby w/ trail cam

Old 09-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default newby w/ trail cam

I need some help here....

I put up a trail cam (4.0mpmoultry from walmart)this year to watch a feeder and when i checked it after the first 4 days, I had 102 pics of nothing. I am thinking the wind blowing some tall weeds may have set it off. I know the 'slow camera' story that some of the high $ companys use, but even the feed doesnt seem touched. So, do I truly have wind setting off pics? are they that touchy?

also, the cam has a flash setting. do you guys use the flash? does it seem to spook deer?

thanks for your help.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: newby w/ trail cam

Yes they are that will touch off the camera . Clear anything that willmove from in front of your camera . I have been there done that .[:@]
Old 09-21-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have it on a small tree and if the wind makes the tree sway, that will set it off. Get as clear of path as possible. And I use the flash.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

The flash wont spook the deer.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:49 PM

clear all weeds & brush doing this helped my moultries I have 3 of them
Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have (2) Moultrie M60's and have had great luck with just making sure they are on a big sturdy tree and clean all the limbs and tall grass in front of it that might set it off.
I get about 300 pics a week and rarely do I get a pic that don't have something in it that would have set it off.
About the flash, they may seem scared at first but after the first day or two they could care a less about flash.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another thing that will set it off, is if you have it facing the setting, or rising sun.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be sure to put an SD card in it for taking several pictures...if you don't have a card in it the camera wil only take a few picture on the high quality setting and even less video.My Moultrie is bad for show "SD Card Locked" on it.I had to turn the camera off,take the card out,blow it off,blow off the inside of the slot that the card goes in and try again.Sometimes you have to check the SD card and it has a little knotch/slide that shows "Locked" it may get slid into the locked position and you have to slide it back or try another/different SD card?My battery finally went totally bad after only using it for about 6 months,I ended up getting 2 new batteries from Wild Game Institute Feeders which were the same size and style of batteries!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I think my prob is the high grass. went backout today and had 994 pics of NOTHING [:@]! It was easy to tell fromthe pics that the grass/weeds are the problem because they are moving back/forth in the pics. Im going out this weekend to solve that prob.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck take your machete with you. I will be looking forward to some deer pics in the future.

Quick Reply: newby w/ trail cam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.