Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 to flash or not to flash >

to flash or not to flash

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

to flash or not to flash

Old 07-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default to flash or not to flash

the title says it all.....Is Infrared better than flash??? Which one should i go with??

I am new to all of this trail camera stuff. Just wondering what you guys thought. I got my hands on some more money....i have 120 to spend and was wondering which ones i should check out
Old 07-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: to flash or not to flash

I have both kinds. Always a big dispute over the flash spooking deer, but my flash camera has probably had the best results. I don't think you'll have a problem with either kind.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

my one thing i am worried about is someone seeing the flash at night and stealing the camera

I would think infrared is harder to find for someone to steal......
Old 07-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

They do have lock boxes for most of them. But if that is your main worry go for the IR. From experience, you don't want one to flash in your eyes!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

They both will spook deer. I think it all depends on the deer's attitude at that time.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

i run both types of camera's and get the same amount of pictures.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pa_yote_hunter

my one thing i am worried about is someone seeing the flash at night and stealing the camera

I would think infrared is harder to find for someone to steal......
It sounds like you have already answered your own question!!!! I use both type's and have not seen where the deer react differently to one over the other. The problem is most IR camera's are more then $120, there area few whiteflash camera's out there for that price. If you want an IR,I would recommend the Moultrie I-40 it has been a good camera for me but it is $200. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Moultrie I-40
I agree. That's the one I have and I tired several brands before keeping the Moultrie. For the money, it has the most features like temp, time, moon phase, and even a place to put info like your name or a phone number/camera number right on each pic.

But all of the considered, I think the number one consideration is battery life. Last year I used my camera for the last few months of the season on only my second set of batteries. I have it out constantly this time of year and went from about July to December on only two sets and the current set is still at over 80%. The Moultrie also as a battery life indicator that shows % of batteries left. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Mottz

I have both kinds. Always a big dispute over the flash spooking deer, but my flash camera has probably had the best results. I don't think you'll have a problem with either kind.
What he said. I can show you pics of the same deer coming to my plot 3,4 & 5 times a week during hours when the flash is needed. They actually get used to it. This is the closest thing I have to a deer getting "spooked". I see it as him being startled. I also have pictures of this deer hanging around this plot for 2 hours AFTER this picture was taken. So even if he was "startled", he got used to it REAL quick!

Rob

Old 07-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me just ask 1 question and see what people think. What do deer do when there is a flash of lightning?

Quick Reply: to flash or not to flash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.