Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Stumped?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Stumped?

Ive had my minerals out for almost a month now, and the last few weeks ive been getting a steady stream of pictures. So i left the camera for about a week, and when i went and checked it i found that it had taken zero pictures. I thought something might be wrong with it so i walked in front, and it took my picture. I looked around for deer tracks but i couldntfind any(it did rain pretty hard last night). The only thing i can think of is that the camera was angled too high up or that no deer visited the spot during the whole week.

Is there anything that would make the deer stop coming to my lick?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Stumped?

You may have beenvisiting the area to much prior.I notice when the temperaturestarts risingabove 70 degreesvisits to my mineral site are about 1/3 of the normal visits.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah...you! Try to limit your activity to just once a month. I don't know how big your memorycard or the length of your battery life but I only check my camera once a month if that. Sometimes I wait two months. No use having a game camera if by the time you get ready to hunt they aren't going to be there or they went nocturnal.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I check mine once at least every 2 weeks. Check them as if you are hunting. Scent free as possible.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well i do usually check it once a week, but i have been doing that for almost a year now, and the deer never stopped coming in. This is the only time i have checked this camera and not had a single picture on it.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well my brother went out woodchuck hunting and i went with him and on the waywe checked the camera. 95 pictures ofa doe. Good enough for me to know the deer haven't abandoned mylick.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had dramatic slow downs at my licks before and the only thing I can think is maybe the deer know there bodies don't need it at that particular time. Like beans over wheat or alfalfa over corn. They'll be back though. Give it time. If not try moving the lick a ways away and try again.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

There not going to stop coming to an established mineral site because of a "little" human intrusion. They could possibly become somewhat nocturnal if there is too much scent left in the area, but they will come. I wear rubber boots and try not to come into contact with anything where I might leave scent, but I do not go to extremes like I would when hunting, and I usually get consistent pics, but not always.If there is a slowdown in activity I believe it is weather related, usually from heat. There is also a lot of new, green gowth availabile now, rich with nutrients. A lot of does have dropped fawns, so their travel area have also changed somewhat, remaining in the general vicinity of their fawnsThe bucks are in bachelor groups, where one goes, they all go. They know where your mineral site is. They will come when they feel the need.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

It has been unbearably hot in my area lately.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be patient it took this one a year to get going. The stump lick just started about a month an half ago.

Quick Reply: Stumped?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.