Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 question about getting coyote pics! >

question about getting coyote pics!

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

question about getting coyote pics!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default question about getting coyote pics!

I recently hung a moultrie gamespy 100 over a cow carcass to try to get pics of predators and I told a friend of mine who is a big time trapper and he said that I should pull that camera off and put my no flash cam on instead because the flash would probably scare off the coyotes. The reason why I put the gs100 thereis because it's slower and would work good over bait or a carcass. What do you guys think, had much luck with cow carcasses, kinda seems like deer carcases work better, not much seems to take to the cattle much.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: question about getting coyote pics!

you guys havent had any coyotes before at carcasses, anything react to the flash???
Old 03-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

Ive been trying to get coyotes pics as well with no luck,and in a well coyote populated area.I've used dead possum,beaver,and possum,with no yotes.I've had bobcats,hawks,and buzzard pics.The bobcat pics have been cool though.When I used corn for deer I would get like one coyotein every 100 pics.They must just know better.I'm going to try some birds next.
Good luck man,
James
Old 03-29-2008, 04:16 AM
Spike

Sounds like the yotes may be pick'n up your scent in the area when you're checking the cam or the carcass.
Neverhandleany type ofbait you usewith your bare hands, and tryto keep your scent to an absolute minimum.
If nothing else take up a few minutes with the family dog before you make your rounds. They won't bespookyof
K9 scent in the area. You can also take some materiala dog hasslept on and use it as a scent post at the target
area. Coyotes willcome to investigate it. Bobcats, Coonsetc..are more tolerant of human scent than Coyotes or
Foxes.

Your friend could be correct about the white flash spooking them as well. Sometimes they are sensitive to a white
light. But you may try mounting your camera head highor so,and angle it down on the target area to simulate a
lightning strike. Rather than a direct hit of bright light at their level.

Good Luck to ya!
Old 03-29-2008, 05:33 AM

Haven't had a coyoteget spooked by a flash yet but I'm sure it happens. I get lots of coyote pics over coyote trails, just have to scout for them.

Another idea is to use the trapping method of a dirt hole set-up. Just dig a small hole with some sort of backing and put some type of bait down the hole. Then spray the backing (post, rock, tree etc.) with coyote, bobcat or fox urine. Again a good idea to place this up wind of a know coyote trail. A link with diagrams
www.trapperman.com/trapperman/dirthole_set.html
Old 03-29-2008, 07:17 AM

I just got a few pics of 1 at my deer feeder from earlier in the month. 1 time at the feeder.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:19 AM

Old 03-29-2008, 07:19 AM

Old 03-29-2008, 07:21 AM

Old 03-29-2008, 07:26 AM

I had camera set to take 2 pics. And he stayed around a couple minutes after the first 2 flashesthen walked right by the camera.

Quick Reply: question about getting coyote pics!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.