Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

IR vs Flash

Old 03-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

Default IR vs Flash

Is the IR that much better than flash? I understand that it has the obvious advantage, but it seems like the flash trail cams are alot cheaper. The reason Im asking is I want to buy a few of them, and cost is definately a factor.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: IR vs Flash

I have one of each an as for as pictures there is really no difference. They both will spook deer. The IR hasblack an white pic at night. The flash camera has color pics at night. That is the biggest difference.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

bow huntert, I have had deer spook with my flash cams but so far with my IR I've seen them look at it but don't seem to be to spooked by any means maybe a little curious or cautios and maybe even try to stay back from it a little but not spooked like my flash cams have done.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:47 PM

I agree, IR cams may be noticable...a millisecond blink of red...but all of my night pics w/ my old stealthcam 35mm's w/ flash were spooked deer...every series of photos i ever had developed lead to spooked game running away
Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

They spook from both, just not as much I don't think as the regular flash. I have the No Flash Cuddeback and I've got a few pics of them heading out from the picture when it was getting taken. Its more the noise that scares them on my No Flash then anything I think. When it takes a picture it makes the slightest little noise. I can't hear it but my brother has heard it before when checking the camera.

Here's a picture of one spooking from my No Flash Cuddeback.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 AM

i prefer flash cams because i don't like the black and whites. as far as falsh spooking them, i've never seen it. sometimes they see the camera and get spooked but the flash itself doesn't scare them in my opinion. my camera spends a good portion of the year hanging just outside my fence in my backyard, and i've watched deer get their picture taken hundereds of times and i've never seen them spook from the flash. does this guy look scared?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:30 AM

I have pictures of the deer almost putting their nose on the camera.. And mine is a moultrie with the flash. I have not seen the camera spook any game . Deer, bear, coyote, fox, vultures, possum, coons none of them have bolted when i got pics of them.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Schultzy, it almost looks like the deer was running by the camera and it took a pic of it.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: patchholder

Schultzy, it almost looks like the deer was running by the camera and it took a pic of it.
Nope. I got video of it too showing it spooking. This camera or any camera don't have a quick enough trigger speed to catch a deer running by the camera. Nice buck in your avatar patch!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: heavy hitter

i prefer flash cams because i don't like the black and whites. as far as falsh spooking them, i've never seen it. sometimes they see the camera and get spooked but the flash itself doesn't scare them in my opinion. my camera spends a good portion of the year hanging just outside my fence in my backyard, and i've watched deer get their picture taken hundereds of times and i've never seen them spook from the flash. does this guy look scared?

Heavy hitter,

Your deer are use to it I'm sure after seeing it there forever like you said. A new comer will act totally different. Your camera takes kick ass pictures and I love cuddebacks but deer have spooked from the flash camera's as well. My friends have the same camera as you and its happened a number of times in there 1000+ pictures this last year. I don't see why people can't believe someone when they say this. Geesh!! Get off your high horse already, I've seen many of your post.

Quick Reply: IR vs Flash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.