Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Licks/ mineral blocks?

Old 09-29-2007, 05:40 AM

Default Licks/ mineral blocks?

I'm looking for something to put in front of the camera to keep the deer there for a few pics. Things like corn and apples work great for the first deer but are gone shortly thereafter. Anyone have any luck or suggestions using mineral blocks or salt licks?
Old 09-29-2007, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Licks/ mineral blocks?

I've only been using corn and have been averaging 100 pics a night on one camera and about 25 to 30 on the other one. I have salt and mineral blocks on both sites but have yet to get a picture of them licking either. But alot of it has to do with what food sorces are in your particular area. We have very little corn grown here so they 'zero' in on it quickly.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Angry Beaver

I'm looking for something to put in front of the camera to keep the deer there for a few pics. Things like corn and apples work great for the first deer but are gone shortly thereafter. Anyone have any luck or suggestions using mineral blocks or salt licks?
I live in Illinois, where there is tons of corn and soybeans...what I have found that works really good is the Deer Cane. It says to pre mix with water, but I just dump it out and it works just fine. In2 weeks since putting it out the deer created a 10' depression about 4-5 inches deep. and my trail camera was tripped 70 times, thats why I need to upgrade from 35mm to Digital with SD card, but I don't want to hang $300.00 in a tree for some loser to come take it.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Spike

Aren't mineral licks and salt blocks illegal in Illinois?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:56 PM

Only if you get caught.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use them in Iowa and the deer love them. I use a mineral block and then one that has sugar and salt in it... they go nuts over it.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ive been using corn since July, but in the spring you cant beat Deer Co-Cain.....they hit it hard by my place.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:31 PM

Hey Buck, are you using blocks that are formulated especially for deer or something for farm animals? The cattle blocks are 1/2 the price of the deer blocks at the local Fleet Farm... I'm guessing they would work the same.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Try that buck jam with it. That seems to work well.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I havea spot where I put down whitetail addiction, a mineral block, and a salt block. the $4.50 50 pound salt block gets the most pictures hands down. the whitetail addiction is in second place, but you have to refresh it every six months. I swear to god,I have more pictures of runaway cows at the mineral block then deer! For six days back in August there were 4 cows pooping all over my property and licking my mineral blocks. No deer ever touches them. go with salt (if it's LEGAL!!!). Corn will work much better but it's illegal in mn.

Quick Reply: Licks/ mineral blocks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.