Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Want to get into trail cameras, what first???? >

Want to get into trail cameras, what first????

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Want to get into trail cameras, what first????

Old 09-18-2007, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default Want to get into trail cameras, what first????

I want to get me a trail camera, but I dont want to waste my money. I dont want to spend alot but I want a good camera.

Also does the flash bother the deer? I would like to get one with infared on it. What do I need to get???
Old 09-18-2007, 08:01 AM

Default RE: Want to get into trail cameras, what first????

Well this is more of an opinion than suggestion because I believe all the cameras work just need to know how to set them up. They all have pros and cons. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good working camera.

I do not believe the flash spooks the deer. I have been watching a lot of the infared camera postings and if you look the deer are looking into the camera most of the time just like a flash. If you are worried about the flash then hang the camera pretty high and make sure you angle the camera down quite a bit to get the trigger speed to work. With that said the cheaper camera you get the father away from the trail you want to be. I have seen a lot of pictures and the only one I would not recommend is the Wildview. It works however the quality isn't the best during the night. I like Stealth and I know Wildview is made by Stealth so look for a camera that has a respectable flash. If you get a Moultrie get a Mojo Rechargeable Duck Battery and just recharge it a lot.

Any questions just ask Someone will help you.

Good Luck

Chad
Old 09-18-2007, 09:20 AM

I have an online store www.flemingoutdoors.com and we have the Cuddeback Digital and Leaf River trail cameras. These are the only two brands we sell now because we have had such a high defect rate on all other models we have tried.

It is sad to say but when buying a camera sometimes you never know if it is going to work. There are alot of cheaper cameras that just dont seem to work well. Many of our customers come to us frustrated that they bought an inexpensive camera and it just wont take pictures or the flash is so slow only the tail end of the deer is in the the pic.

I will rate on my experience with the flash camaras we offer.

1. Cuddeback Expert - Best Picture Quality Large Flash
2. Leaf River with Large Viewing Screen. - Best for Viewing in Field
3. Cuddeback Excite - Hands down best for the money.

I will rate on my experience with theinfared camaras we offer.

1. Leaf River Infared with Viewing Screen - Mostreliable (no defects)
2. Cuddeback No Flash - Fast Trigger Speed

Overall Cuddeback if your looking for trigger speed and video clips. Leaf River if your looking for reliability and ease of use.

Many people like the flash and people differ on opinion about it spooking the deer. If you notice the deer looking at the camera even on no flash models, the reason is that there is a small light that glows on the camera before the infared pic it taken. That is what they are looking at.

You can reach us at http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/trailcameras.html

Good Luck.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

[:'(]cuddieback lol... you will find everyone has there personal preference. I am a moultrie man myself that said, I have a moutrie gamespy100 I think... 3.1 megapixel and I LOVE it. I have very few white out pics (unless the deer are sniffing the camera) and the quality I think is excellent. Mine does go through a battery in about a week, but it sounds like they all are hard on batteries on the lower end of the spectrum. As far as flash goes... I think that depends on the deer. As you can see by my pics the deer are looking right into the camera, so you tell me if it scares them. I get mulitple pics too because they dont run away.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BuckRogers

[:'(]cuddieback lol... you will find everyone has there personal preference. I am a moultrie man myself that said, I have a moutrie gamespy100 I think... 3.1 megapixel and I LOVE it. I have very few white out pics (unless the deer are sniffing the camera) and the quality I think is excellent. Mine does go through a battery in about a week, but it sounds like they all are hard on batteries on the lower end of the spectrum. As far as flash goes... I think that depends on the deer. As you can see by my pics the deer are looking right into the camera, so you tell me if it scares them. I get mulitple pics too because they dont run away.

I like my Cuddeback alot. No white outs. The batteries last for MONTHS not a week. The pics are ALOT crisper and not grainy like theMoultrie.Cuddeback has an excellent trigger time. The only thing I like more about your camera is the price. Sometimes you get what you pay for.I agree that the flash doesn't bother the deer.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:17 AM

I personally dont believe the flash spooks deer. I dont like the no flash because the black and white pic is not as good of quality.

Great Pic Buckrogers.

If anyone wants a guaranteed attractant that deer will walk past corn to get to, try Buck Bran or Buck Grub. I have had 3 bucks try to fight off about 25 turkeys over it. Needless to say they gave up and the turkeys just ate at their feet.

Many people say that it only attracts bucks.That isnt true....it attractsboth does and bucks.It is just that the bucks will run off does and smaller bucks to eat it.

Never have found anything like it. Check it out, Great for cameras.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:29 AM

The moultrie I had I could get around 1000 pictures out of it or better before I would have to recharge my battery. I used a rechargable battery you can get from Bass Pro Shops for around 9 and the charger($9) I used wasd from Bass Pro also.

My opinion on trail cameras is that they ALL WORK just have to know how to set them up. Some are easier than others and some you just need to experiment with them till you find the right set up that works for you. Personally I like to set all of my cameras over a scrape, a rub, a place where they are feeding, or I set something up to get them to stop. All I want to do is just get an idea what is in the area. You can get a cuddeback because yeah their trigger speed is a lot faster and you can catch a buck when he is running threw. Well if he is running threw it is either during the rut or it is when he is being pushed threw. Meaning YOU should be in the timber hunting rather than checking cameras. By then you should already know where to hunt if not you didn't start soon enough.

River Rat

Old 09-20-2007, 03:35 AM

Oh by the way here is a picture from a Leaf River which was $300 and I will post one from a stealth cam that was $130. In my opinion the stealth has better quality and easy to set up. Also if you know how to set it up you don't have to put anything up in front of it to get the deer to stop to get a good quality picture.

Leaf River

Stealth Cam

Old 09-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you'll find more people that have problems with cuddeback then just about any other model. I paid $450 for the no-flash and it was HORRENDOUS!!!! I got 2 pictures in about a month. I like my stealth i450's. Not perfect but great camera for the money.

Also, how can the excite be good value at $299? That's a pretty expensive camera there to be good value. And, it doesn't have much for bells and whistles. I would say cuddebacks are the WORST value. I'm no expert though, I've only been doing this for about 8 years.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

From our experience, what I would call a good digital trail camera and cheap do not go together.

If I were to go cheap I would get the Wildview Xtreme 4 or 5, but they have their problems.

If I were to go good I would get the new Trail Watcher 2035.

We've tested over 20 different digital trail camera to date so you can take a look at those at our website in the signature below.

Quick Reply: Want to get into trail cameras, what first????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.