Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Moultrie 2.1

Old 08-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Moultrie 2.1

I have yet to capture a deer on my Moultrie 2.1 trailcamera. I have raccoons and other small animals hitting the feeding area, but no deer. I have dozens and dozens of blank photos. Am I doing something wrong? I have fresh deer tracks in front of the camera, but no photos. Is the camera just not activating in time to catch the deer moving in front of the camera?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:53 AM
OGW

Default RE: Moultrie 2.1

Is the camera just not activating in time to catch the deer moving in front of the camera?
Thats it! It's Sleeping to save the battery life...then it has to wake up[>:]

http://www.chasingame.com/reviews_moultrie.htm#moultrie-ww100
"The “Sure Shot” function that Moultrie has incorporated into this camera is a pain in the foot. It takes two motions to set it off. The first motion does nothing but if the cam senses a second motion the picture will be taken in under one second".

You could try placing the camera slightly farther back from the feeding area in hopes of catching deer that are just getting out of the picture framebefore the camera's awake and ready to take a pic.

Old 08-22-2007, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks OGW. The link is very informative. I will be repositioning the camera 90 degrees and furtherawayto focus on the trail and see if that helps.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:44 PM

If it is legal in your state you could put some corn or a salt or mineral block infront of the camera. Also with moultrie I have it set to take three pics when it is triggered. Gets me more pictures. I also try to set my camera looking down the trail rather than across. This should give the camera time to trigger.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

The blank pictures i may be able to explain. If they are all black, then they were triggered at night and the flash didnt go off. My buddies Moultrie 5.0 does this frequently. We just set it on 3 round burst and it usually catches the animal in 1 of the pics.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:23 PM
OGW

Cay4redneck has brought up a good point to answer...
If they are "Blank" then you see the surrounding area just no game animals in it?
Or
Is the entire picture "Black"?

I've only gotten just a few "Blank" pic's out of hundreds taken by my camera. All of them were during the middle of the day with the camera pointing downward from about 12 ft high(I've tried 5 different angles so far)into an opening where the sunlight shined very brightly. It set off the sensor somehow with the combination of the sunlight and the movement of the canopy leaves but I'm not entirely sure why. It's a good camera for a feeding area and I have yet to get a "Whiteout" picture with it!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

firemed..the pics I post in our team forum are from the moultrie 2.1..I have to put corn or minerals out so the deer stays in front of the cam. It does a great job that way..but as an actual trail cam (on a trail) forget about it.