Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 Touch Of Albino ? >

Touch Of Albino ?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Touch Of Albino ?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Touch Of Albino ?

We have several pictures of a deer that is much lighter in color than the rest. Is there such a thing as a deer having a trace of albino or could it just be light in color ? Here is a picture of her with another to compare.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/luke35whelan/deer/7-30hh.jpg
Old 07-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Touch Of Albino ?

The one definetly looks lighter. I dont know if its the sun on her or what. The other deer in the pics tools light as well in the mid section...
Old 07-31-2007, 02:28 PM

Here are a few more pictures. I'd say she's a good bit lighter, they all look the same on the grill though.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:35 PM

there is no such thing as a deer that's kind of albino, to have an albino you need to have two parents witha matching recessive gene for an albino to be produced. this doe is probably just lighter, there are some deer that are almost black so i lighter deer is definately a possiblilty
Old 07-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Spike

Could be, she's just having a bad hair day...lol. Not every deer will appear the same. You have your Albinos of course & then don't forget your 1/2 & 1/2's... the Piebalds as well.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

looks lighter, but i think it might be the sun or some other factor
Old 08-01-2007, 10:40 PM

As far as I no albino is pure white with pink eyes and pieball is partialy white and brown with or without the pink eyes .
Looks a little lighter brown to me ..
My 2 cents..
Old 08-01-2007, 10:56 PM

hmm.... lets have a little lesson on deer genetics...

Albino deer are pure white with pink eyes and pink hooves. They lack all pigment and are easily sunburnt. To have an albino you have to have two parents (they can both be brown, they just need the gene) that have the matching reccessive gene for albinism.

Piebald deer are NOT half brown half albino, they are a competely different set of genes. Piebald deer are three colors (white, brown, and gray) in random spots on their bodies. To have piebald you need one piebald parent, there is a 50/50 chance to have a piebald. Most commonly there is one brown and one piebald in a set of twins from a piebald. Most piebalds with white around the face or eye area have blue eyes, not pink. They can also have normal brown eyes.

White deer are white with brown eyes, black hooves, or a black nose. They may have all three, they may have only one. They are pure white, but have pigment in those three areas. I'm not completely sure what you need to have a white deer, but i think it's a 50/50 chance....