Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 hanging trail cam problems! >

hanging trail cam problems!

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

hanging trail cam problems!

Old 04-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default hanging trail cam problems!

It seems like every time I find a good trail that deer are useing alot I hang a camera there and I have watched deer purposely avoid the camera and go around, some of these cameras have been there for weeks and not taken a single picture I watch the deer go around. I know it is not the flash because it has 'nt even taken a picture. Another thing is my moultrie 100 and 200 take good pictures of me comeing to the camera but when I put them out like in front of bait where I know I will get a picture it takes awile for it to sense them or something, I mess around with the heigth and angle of the cameras and everything as soon asthey get methey will take a pic in about 3-4 seconds. any hints in hanging these cams for better results. I realy enjoy trail cams but I find I dont getmany pics.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hanging trail cam problems!

well guys I just did a test on my cameras it has been raining for 2 days and it let up for a while and it is about 50 degrees outside. I brought a stop watch and i walked in front of the gamesspy 100 and it triggered and flashed after 26 seconds and the 200 flashed after 16 seconds I tried the 100 again and it was 19 seconds. After bringing them in the house wich is about 72and letting them warm up the 100 was about8-9 andthe 200 was about 8.When these cameras were new I believe they flashed alot quicker they are about a year old now what do you think I should do with them.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would set them over a mineral lick or food plot or somewhere that the deer will hang around for a while and give them a chance to trigger.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

i would get rid of them and get one thats works good.but thats me
Old 04-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

may want to try "strong" batteries....newer ones and if rechargable make sure to get a high nimh number....name brand at the very least.....coldness shouldn't mess with trigger spead as it is motion/heat sensitive,? if not then you may want to look at getting a heat/motion sensitive camera...i wouldn't through them away....use them in the spring or during days of optimal temperature.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:26 AM

i would get new ones
Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

As stated before....put it over a mineral lick, at a feeder, or a place that the animals will be at for a long time. Moultrie cams are not really fast triggering cams, therefore, you shouldn't use them on trails. Even if the deer weren't walking around the area, you still might not get them on the cam becuase of the delay time for the camera to take a pic.

The deer may be walking around the area you cam is becuase of scent. What do you do to ensure your scent doesn't get on the camera? Take some sorta scent wipe and wipe down the camera after you hang it to make sure there is no scent on it!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

patchholder, I've had two Moultrie 100's for a couple of years without any problems. They trigger kinda slow, but I have them looking at the feeder so it doesn't matter. The Moultrie factory rep. told me over the phone one day to be sure and face the cams either North or South. Not East or West as the rising and setting sun may effect the sensor. Mine is facing North. Also, be sure the cam is looking up or down a trail and not across a trail. Trigger speed, remember? I have mine mounted on a flat board and screwed to a post I put in the ground for it. Also, I put a rain shelf over the cam slightly above the cam on post. The cams are camo and I don't use any scent stuff on them and I check them every week. I use rechargable 6 volts batteries with the solor panel charger and get about 3 months out of each battery before changing it out for a fresh home charged one. My cams take excellant pics so I don't need higher priced cams like is out there now. I hope this info is useful to you.
Also, one last note, I bought my boss man the 200 for Christmas last year and he has nothing but trouble with it, sending it back for new ones three times already. I hope you have better luck with yours.
BBO