Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
 suggestion on a trail camera >

suggestion on a trail camera

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

suggestion on a trail camera

Old 04-02-2007, 03:52 PM

Default suggestion on a trail camera

well i hunt hogs alot and i just wanted a decent trail camera that will stand in the night and day..taking good piks and good battery life...maybe tell me the time and full moon faces and probably higher that a 3 mega pixel.....also most importantly under 200 dollars....
Old 04-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: suggestion on a trail camera

Don't think you can get ALL of that at that price. Most of the cheaper cameras eat batteries like crazy. Check with this link and get a refurbished Cuddeback. Ask for the 05 3.0mp version. Or, even the 1.3 mp.Batteries last a long time and they take great pictures too. Also, fast trigger time.

http://www.parkfalls.com/seednfeed/cuddeback.htm
Old 04-02-2007, 05:32 PM

i dont know i was looking at a cabelas magazine and they had a moultrie 4.1 mp for 150$$$ and it had solar availability

as for those refurbished ones how much are they?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: the kidd

i dont know i was looking at a cabelas magazine and they had a moultrie 4.1 mp for 150$$$ and it had solar availability

as for those refurbished ones how much are they?
Check how much guys get for battery life on the Moultrie. Then do the math. Batteries can really add up $$$$. I can get months of use out of ONE set of D batteries for my Cudde. Plus the pictures are better than the Moultrie. The Cudde also has good flash range and quicker trigger time.

As far as price, go to his website and get in touch with him. I met him last month, and he was a nice guy.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 4.1 mp moultrie at cabelas really isn't 4.1 mp. It is 3.1 mp but there is some software that "converts" it to 4.1 mp. Megapixels really don't mean much 99% of the time. I have an $850 Nikon DSLR camera that is only 6 mp and you can buy a 10 mp Kodak camera for $200 but guess which one takes better pictures?

ORIGINAL: janesburg

Check how much guys get for battery life on the Moultrie. Then do the math. Batteries can really add up $$$$. I can get months of use out of ONE set of D batteries for my Cudde. Plus the pictures are better than the Moultrie. The Cudde also has good flash range and quicker trigger time.

As far as price, go to his website and get in touch with him. I met him last month, and he was a nice guy.
Okay let's do the math. $14.99 for a rechargeable 6 volt battery for the Moultrie. $9.99 for a quick charger = $24.98 for several years worth of battery life. If a set of D cells is 4 then you are spending $5 per month on batteries with the Cudde so about $60 per year. For another $25 you can add a solar panel to the Moultrie and that gets it to $50 but mine has been out for 3 months now and with the solar panel it was still at 99% charged and that was in the winter. If you live in a sunny area, I doubt you would ever need to charge the Moultrie and it could sit out for years on the same battery. Not having to charge or swap out batteries for a year+ is pretty nice.

The Cudde's have a good reputation for trigger time, I can't argue that, and the older ones have agood reputation overall,but their 2006 cameras were pretty much lemons from what you read on the forums, they probably do have plenty of refurbished ones available.

================================================== ===

As far as a good camera with decent battery life for under $200, I think if you are going to put it over bait or an area where the animals will stick around either a Stealth I390 with the external battery pack or the Moultrie Gamespy 200 with the 6v battery and solar panel would be good.

If you are wanting to pick them up on a trail with a 2 second or less trigger time I'm not sure you can get a factory camera for that under $200. I bought a Bushnell Trailscout 19200 and it has a fast trigger time but it's battery life is pretty poor. (The longest I've gotten out of 4 D Cells is 10 days, I've switched to some high dollar rechargeable D Cells and they last about the same time).

That's my 2 cents. I have a Moultrie Gamespy 200 and a Stealth I390 and the Bushnell Trailscout 19200. You can check out pictures from all of them here - http://padens.com/ipw-web/gallery/trailcams

My 2 cents. Nathan
Old 04-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: npaden

The 4.1 mp moultrie at cabelas really isn't 4.1 mp. It is 3.1 mp but there is some software that "converts" it to 4.1 mp. Megapixels really don't mean much 99% of the time. I have an $850 Nikon DSLR camera that is only 6 mp and you can buy a 10 mp Kodak camera for $200 but guess which one takes better pictures?

ORIGINAL: janesburg

Okay let's do the math. $14.99 for a rechargeable 6 volt battery for the Moultrie. $9.99 for a quick charger = $24.98 for several years worth of battery life. If a set of D cells is 4 then you are spending $5 per month on batteries with the Cudde so about $60 per year. For another $25 you can add a solar panel to the Moultrie and that gets it to $50 but mine has been out for 3 months now and with the solar panel it was still at 99% charged and that was in the winter. If you live in a sunny area, I doubt you would ever need to charge the Moultrie and it could sit out for years on the same battery. Not having to charge or swap out batteries for a year+ is pretty nice.

The Cudde's have a good reputation for trigger time, I can't argue that, and the older ones have agood reputation overall,but their 2006 cameras were pretty much lemons from what you read on the forums, they probably do have plenty of refurbished ones available.

================================================== ===

As far as a good camera with decent battery life for under $200, I think if you are going to put it over bait or an area where the animals will stick around either a Stealth I390 with the external battery pack or the Moultrie Gamespy 200 with the 6v battery and solar panel would be good.

If you are wanting to pick them up on a trail with a 2 second or less trigger time I'm not sure you can get a factory camera for that under $200. I bought a Bushnell Trailscout 19200 and it has a fast trigger time but it's battery life is pretty poor. (The longest I've gotten out of 4 D Cells is 10 days, I've switched to some high dollar rechargeable D Cells and they last about the same time).

That's my 2 cents. I have a Moultrie Gamespy 200 and a Stealth I390 and the Bushnell Trailscout 19200. You can check out pictures from all of them here - http://padens.com/ipw-web/gallery/trailcams

My 2 cents. Nathan
I don't go thru a set of batteries every month. They can last 3-5 months depending on how many pics are taken and weather. Nice pics by the way.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, I read that wrong. The Moultrie with the rechargeable 6v battery is pretty cheap on batteries though.

The cudde's do take really good pictures, I just couldn't justify the cost.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would wait for the new cameras comming out this spring/summer .

http://trailcameras.net/industry-news/new-2007-game-cameras.php
Old 04-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'd go with a wildview 3.0 with an external battery. you'll be well under $200 and it's a good little camera. only drawback is the bad trigger speed. it's ok over a feeder, lick, or food plot. not good for trail use but no digi's in that price range are. I have over 3000 pictures this year alone from my wildview.

by the way, save yourself some trouble and do not get a new cuddeback. seriously, they are trouble! Don't let the advertising fool you. Not only are they not worth the ridiculous price tag, they aren't worth 1/3 of what they charge!!!!! Go with the Wildview!

Oh - what they are saying about megapixels is the truth! there are many many examples of cameras w/ lower megapixels taking better pictures. I'd recommend looking on the board for sample pictures. You can probably find some of each major brand. Stealth wd-2 is going to have the WORST picture. Cudde's as much as I hate them do have a really nice picture.

Which ever way you go - GOOD LUCK! It'sa really fun hobby. You never know what is going to be on the camera.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

i was going through the same thing you are a few weeks ago, which trail camera. i went ahead and went with the Moultrie 200 3.1 megapixel. i bought mine on Ebay as a kit (Moultrie 200, rechargeable 6 volt battery, charger and solar panel) for $171.00. i haven't had time to put it out yet and test it. i'm kinda waiting until later in the year when the bucks start growing antlers again. this way i can locate and pattern specific deer that i may want to hunt. i did alot of research and based on the price and reviews, this seemed like the best camera for me. the only repitious complaint i heard about the Moultrie 200 was trigger speed. this only means you can't put it facing across a trail. to compensate just aim it over down a trail, over a scrape or even at a rub...somewhere where the deer will be for more than 5 seconds. to me a trigger speed under 2 seconds isn't worth the $400-$600 price tag but to each his own.

Quick Reply: suggestion on a trail camera

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.