Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Flys on Deer

Old 03-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flys on Deer

Do you guys get pictures of deer in the summer with flys on them? A couple years ago, we had a real dry hot spell, and lots of deer had flys on them -

Here's a doe from the period, in a dried up beaver pond.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Flys on Deer

Oh yes! We've gotten some pictures in the summer and I don't know how they stand it. It would drive me crazy.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Host of Hosts

Good detail in the picture. I don't know how those deer stand those flies either.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:55 PM

The deer here had fly really bad this summer. We feed the deer in our backyard and there is one doe who's been coming for 6 years, since she was a yearling. We named her Honey and she comes everyday. During the summer she let us spray her with the hose to get the flies off. Her fawns ran around and jumped around alot trying to get the flies off.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Typical Buck

I am a taxidermist and while caping and skinning most deer out i find fly larvae in their inner ears and nasal cavities. When they hatch in the noseyou willusually see and hear deer sneezing constantly. I had a doe two years ago walk by my stand sneezing and snorting like crazy so I kind of watched her for a while then later in the day when she came back I shot her and proved my theory.I put them in a jar and everyday one or two hatched. They seemed to be the oneswith the shinny green bodys. Also, when Imount caribou 99% of the hides have the bot fly larvea embeded in the emidermis of the hide (some nasty buggers those things are)
Old 03-04-2007, 06:14 AM
Host of Hosts

Also, when Imount caribou 99% of the hides have the bot fly larvea embeded in the emidermis of the hide (some nasty buggers those things are)
How do you kill them off? Spray or something? Of course I mean at your shop.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

When the flies lay thier larvea on the caribou it is in the summer so the larvea stay warm thought the winter in the animal. Theyhatch the following spring but when the animal is caped and the larvea reach below freezing they die in the skin. Also when i salt them its like a double whammy and they couldn't survive it anyway.